Cant decide on Single or Dual core Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol i'd suggest check another store cause thats bullsh*t, its probably a very small shop that doesn't sell high end parts, i've seen quite a few of those.

-Jo.

Nope I checked almost all the major wholesale retailers (here in our country )and they don't have it. Yes, some of them might have it but its by order basis only AND the prices are off the roof. I can't simply afford it. Heck, the only thing that they have as top end on display is the Intel D series (Which is crap like most of the people here said). Its like that in the 3rd world and I've got to live with it.

Well anyways can someone answer my question?

Jadariin said:
I just checked out our local computer shops and discovered that the Conroe and even the AMD X2 isnt even available here in our country. It wont be brought here for at least a year. Too bad for me :angry: . Well I guess I'll just push through with my planned single core AMD machine.

Is this good enough to run Guild Wars on full and at least run doom 3 on medium settings and does not lag?

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500
Mobo: MSI RS482M4 (DDR RAM 400)
Video Card: GeForce FX6600LE 256mb 128 bit pci-e
PSU: Dont know the brand yet 500W
Ram: My same old 2x 256mb + 1x 512mb DDR ram (1 gig total)

I would go with a 3200+ and put the saved money into a faster video card. The video card needs to go up for what you want.

BTW, what country are you in?

I live in the Philippines (and proud of It!). Although our mobile technology is quite advanced by today's standards (complete with mobile broadband and 3G services such as Teleconferencing and cellphone TVs) our PC technology is already a few steps behind.

I guess I'll just go with the 3500 since the 3200 and 3500 price difference is not that great. I guess I'll just save up for a better video card. Will the Geforce 6800 do it?

Jadariin , AMD Athlon 64 X2 is already available here in Philippines FYI but not many resellers have it. ^_^ Lets admit it that majority are order basis form. But when it comes to me, it will not be a problem. By the way Im from Philippines also as you can see in my icon ^_^

Check www.rsuncomputers.com .. Its store is located at Manila. You can check their map if you wish to go there. The price is still high right now but as AMD drop their prices, except to get an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ for $159 (Php 8000+) ^_^ They dont have X2 in AM2 socket in the website but I called them last 2 days and they told me they have it in order basis form. I suggest getting Socket AM2 instead of 939 when you choose AMD Cpu for future upgradability.

Of course, many parts in your planned system will be changed. Like the RAM, you will be going to use 240-pin DDR2
instead of DDR 400 ones. And when choosing RAM, go with dual-channel. Top brand names like OCZ, Geil, Patriot and others have dual-channel kits that have RAMs in pairs for assurance of dual-channel performance. And check their latencies too. Try to find with CAS4 latencies. ^_^ Latest DDR2 RAM available here is only DDR2 533Mhz sad. But try to find and you might stumble on DDR2 800Mhz.

Regarding the motherboard, my best suggestion would be the MSI K9N Neo-F nForce 550 Chipset motherboard. I heard lots of good reviews on MSI and I prefer it over ASUS.

Let me have you a price jut-down of some parts.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Php 17-18K (current price)expect it to go down after release of Core 2 Duo

MSI K9N Neo-F Php 4,800

2x 512MB (1GB Total) GEIL DDR2 533 Dual-Channel Kit Php 4,650

***EDIT*** Additional suggestions

Now since many says that most applications right now are made for single processors, choosing the X2 will be the future proof. But if you are more on a tight budget, I may have some alternative for you. Let's say you will choose single -core. Get socket AM2 as what Ive said.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket AM2 - Php 6,200
MSI K9N Neo-F Php 4,800
2x512MB GEIL DDR2 533Mhz Dual-Channel Kit Php 4,650

*Price above are from www.pcx.com.ph/catalog/ *

some other parts then spend the rest of your money on the gfx card. Just another suggestion when it comes to budget.

NOTE:
If you can't afford Core 2 Duo and need a brand new pc badly, then go X2. But if you can wait and save more money, go with Core 2 Duo.

Im gonna post some more links of sellers here when I have time. Got to review for exams ^_^

lol Me too. Thanks for the info Otz though the price is really too steep for me. At least I know now where to buy it :) .

Your welcome. May I know what is your budget for your planned PC? So that I may recommend you ^_^

What parts are you gonna buy? CPU only or the whole system (w/ monitor and etc)?

about 15,000 php (max is 17,000). Planning on upgrading Processor, mobo, GPU and PSU (If needed). Current PSU is 300 watts and I think it wont cut it. Planning on using my current DDRs (266), HDD, and other components. Planning on using stock settings. Preferably AMD since old AMD products are better than Intel.

My drafted parts
Is this good enough to run Guild Wars on full and at least run doom 3 on medium settings and does not lag?

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500
Mobo: MSI RS482M4 (DDR RAM 400)
Video Card: GeForce FX6600LE 256mb 128 bit pci-e
PSU: Dont know the brand yet 500W
Ram: My same old 2x 256mb + 1x 512mb DDR ram (1 gig total)

Costs me around 17,000 php.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom