A question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_dfeedback

Baseband Member
I am currently running a Pentium 4 2.4 ghz PC with 1 gig of RAM and and a Geforce 6200 256 meg. I've been considering upgrading for a long time, but i'm at a loss as to what to do. Some people have told me that the way to go is to double my RAM and upgrade my graphics card, others have said I need a new CPU/mobo as well. If I were to buy a new GPU for my current motherboard it would certainly be AGP, but if I did so, what kind of card would I be looking at? I'm looking at a reasonably middle-of -the-range card that will last me for a reasonable time to come, any recommendations? Is my processor good enough, or do I really need to fork out for a shiney new mobo/CPU as well as another gig of RAM and a new card. If I was to get a new motherboard, etc that would certainly mean a new power supply, so what i'm really asking is, is it worth the bother of upgrading to PCI-E, socket AM2, etc, or should I be trying to get more mileage out of my current rig?

well the 2.4 p4 are a bit old now for gaming (ive had 1, i know) and the 6200 is basic graphics,,, if you want to go budget but still get a decent system my sugestion would be get a amd socket 939 mobo, athlon 3200- 3700 ( your choice really) and maybea 7600gt pci express, youd need a 350 -400 watt psu minimum there though 1 gig of ram should be enough for you unlees its hardcore gaming

IrishNinjaX said:
well the 2.4 p4 are a bit old now for gaming (ive had 1, i know) and the 6200 is basic graphics,,, if you want to go budget but still get a decent system my sugestion would be get a amd socket 939 mobo, athlon 3200- 3700 ( your choice really) and maybea 7600gt pci express, youd need a 350 -400 watt psu minimum there though 1 gig of ram should be enough for you unlees its hardcore gaming
Ok, cheers. I'm on a tight-ish budget, but is dual core a viable option? Is it worth the extra outlay, or should I stick to the Athlons you quoted?

well dual cores will offer better multitasking, say , encoding a video while playing a game, but games arent programed for dual core yet so you wont really notice any diff in gaming performance for at least a year or so,, id say the 3700 or even the 4000 would be a good choice, keep in mind the 4000 would be the best sinlge core athlon out now,, but theyre cheap enbough now,, here in ireland about 165 €

sorry , forgot to mention it,, the athlon dual cores will ahve a massive price drop at the end of july, so you may be able to get the entry level dual core 3800+ ,for just a small bit more thant he 4000 single core,, might be worth the wait,, i still recomend the 7600gt though,

OK, i'll take all that on board. Might be time for a new PC completely. :(

I'll check out the entry level dual cores, if they are within my price range i'll wait for it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom