CHipset overheating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reerun

Beta member
Riddle me this,

So I'm beginning to be fairly sure that my chipset is overheating. Everynow and then while running a game my computer locks up and I get that annoying sound loop of whatever the last sound playing was. At first I thought maybe it was a VGA problem but the Nvidia driver doesn't warn me about the threshold and it never really goes above 65C which I thought was common for high end devices.

I also think it might be the chipset because the heatsink on it is hotter than the sun, so I replaced it with a chipset fan, and after doing this, the computer would lock up way faster. After putting back the old heatsink, it seemed to last longer so.

I was running a 0 RAID with 4 drives and I figured maybe it was overkill to stripe 4 hard drives, so I changed down to using two seperate RAIDs with two drives each and a 5th drive as a partition. Still no good, comuter still locks up while running games. This shouldn't stress the chipset too bad but I decided to just go with one raid and the 3rd partition drive. Still locked up on me.
My computer is in this case.

I'm running on an Asus P5ND2-SLI motherboard
Nvidia 6800 GS video card
2Gigs of Ram and a 3.0 Intel CPU

What gives?!

Re:

Hello,

What are your system temperatures? You should be able to find out by accessing the BIOS and looking for temperature monitoring somewhere...

...If you can't find it there, download speedfan from: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php and run the program. It will tell you your system temperatures if it can detect the temperature diodes.

I downloaded the proggie and I'm not sure which temp is for which device but they are as follows:

Temp 1 42C
Temp 2 36C
Temp 3 127C (yikes)

It only detects one fan I guess but its at about 3400 rpms while I sit and do this.

What can i do about that high temperature? Or why is it that high while basically idling.

I'm going to go through BIOS right now and check that as well.

Couldn't find the temps in any BIOS menus but when I restarted I was tabbing back and forth from a game to the Fanspeed program and the tmps were all between 40-60 when it froze the last time I tabbed back in the game. I'm ready to give up... =o[

Also, if anyone is still reading this, earlier I tried using Asus Probe to see the readings and sometimes the computer would freeze as stated above, or it would alert me that there was something wrong with voltage. I don't know anything about the 12v 5v or 3.3v readings but although it always gave a N/A for the 3.3v reading, when the alert sounded, the 3.3v is what blinked as the apparent problem. Does this sound like anything in particular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom