Geforce 6800...need DVI to VGA converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hereticiv

Baseband Member
I still feel that CRT monitors are better for gaming, not to mention cheaper! But the new card as two DVI connectors. Does anyone think it will ship with a converter or do we have to buy our own? Also what do you think about my PSU and the 6800...b/c I've read some reviews that make it seem like the 480w requirement is for a worst case senario with fans, lights, and all that crap.

P4c 3.2
Asus P4C-800 Deluxe
1 Gig. Kingston Hyper X
Plextor 16x DVD
Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD burner
2X 250gig Maxtor SATA 7200rpm HD
Audigy 2
(new Geforce 6800 Ultra - comming soon)
Wirless PCI card
4 case fans
floppy drive
Antec True430 - 430w

So will I need a new PSU...I hope not ...I have gone to the sites that have you compute what psu you need and I don't put much stock in what they say.

• Convertors are definately gonna be shipped with these cards ..that's a given .
  • As far as the PSU requirement goes .. u won't know until u actually try it out ... I agree with u that site which calculate power requirements can sometimes be a little on the higher side .. But then they intend being on the safer side ..n tht's why it is so.

In any case ..it is always better to have more power than to run underpowered systems which alwayz cause problems

To conclude ... If ur really condsidering buying the 6800 ...then i think u should wait for a while ..for the prices to stabilise ..n' also wait n' watch till ATI release's thier answer to the 6800.
Also it is a good idea to wait for a while ..b4 grabbing one ...this way u can see if the card has any issues ..etc..

The review TechTV did said they used a 420 watt PSU, and it worked fine. It all just depends on how much juice other components are using.

You would probably be best off to try it out before you go by a new power supply.

Waiting is a good idea the only thing is that I'm moving in with my girlfriend on June 1st and she may not be too keen on me spending $500 of "our" money. That is why I was thinking about getting it right when it came out in May to avoid that hassle. I've always had Nvidia cards and they work fine for me. I have a Geforce 4ti 4600 now and it actually serves me well except for farcry, even Pandora Tomorrow works great at 1600x1200. Not to mention these previews make it sound like this card is the second comming, best evolution since the original Geforce 1! I'm just a bit excited about it right now...I just need for free up two complete power connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom