Hard Drive Salvaging...

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxofoner

Baseband Member
With my current setup, I've got only one hard drive, it's a 160 GB, but I want to install Linux for dual-booting. Unfortunately, I never partitioned my drive, and don't want to now. But today, I was invited to take what I wanted from some old computers that were going to be trashed- I got a:
15GB Quantum Fireball lct 15

I know nothing about the "Quantum Fireball" or even if I can use it with my system. That's why I'm asking.

I found http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h164b.htm but I still don't know what I'm looking at here. Can I use it as a slave drive, and how?

You should know that you're looking for the interface type. That link you provided says it's EIDE. Think of it as just IDE. I'm pretty sure you can just use a normal IDE cable for it. If you don't know what that is, it's the big, flat (usually grey) cable that connects to your optical drive and hard drives.

Yes. Simply install the drive as IDE in cable select and your system will read both drives. The Sata will remain the primary boot drive and the system will find the Fireball after XP loads up. If it doens't show up initially you will have to go to: control panel>administrative tools> diskmanagemnet and the drive may appear as unallocated if it does not show up in my computer after windows finds the drive. If it shows up as unallocated simply right click in the drive panel and then allocate the dirve with nTFS and it will now be recognized in windows My Computer.

And then to install linux... How do I delete EVERYTHING on the drive? Or do I? I guess I need to read up on that, myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom