Upgrading Motherboard...Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisyak

Beta member
I made the mistake of buying Dell Dimension 8250 2.5GHz with the 850E chipset and 256megs of RDram,i wanted to upgrade my ram but after searching around i have come to realize that RDram is problay not the best for my long-term computer needs or my wallet.

So in order to change over to DDR i need to scrap my motherboard along with a few other things(case/ram/xp) but here is were my question comes in.

I do not know much about the CPU or motherboards but i would like to buy a board that will support alot of ram.Also is their a board out their that if i decide to upgrade my CPU it will support it.Also does my current CPU support HT technoligy?Any suggestions of motherboards that will suit my needs or info will help alot.Thanks.

2.5Ghz? What is the processor make/model and socket?

Basically... you need to figure out more about that CPU before we can help much. An intel is either HT or not.

Once we have that info we can go on.

If your thinking about a Pentium the D865PERL mobo is a fairly good deal. 4 Dual channel memory ports although I dont think your computer will gain much performance from anything more than a gig.

The only issue I had was the bios did not support the 800 mhz bus, but this can be resolved easily by downloading the update

Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.53GHz Supports 533MHz and 400MHz system bus for single processor configurations/512K L2 Cache ,473 spockets.......so i am told...........

I was suggested the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe any thoughts.........

P4P800 is a very good mobo. I would get that. It supports HT and everything else. The best part also.. its made by asus! Its also pretty cheap too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom