How do you shutdown windows in win98 se DOS Prompt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethosayher

Solid State Member
I need Windows 98 SE in VMware to run a game I've found that isn't fully compatable with WinXP...my friend gave me his SE disk, but he lost the startup floppy, and I don't have a floppy drive anyway; so, I decided to install windows 98 by transfering the installation files from my CD to a drive on my virtual HDD by using the DOS prompt. Obviously, I had to make the partition first before I could transfer the installation files, so I booted up FDISK. I followed all the instructions, and I got up to the point where FDISK states that I need to shutdown windows and reboot in order to use the new partition. I don't know how to do that...all typical methods of restarting [ctrl+alt+del, simply restarting the virtual machine, etc] result in a "Missing Operating System" message when I reboot...so, I'm guessing I have to use a command in order to formally shutdown...any ideas?

Are you sure the game doesnt run with XP in the 98 compatability mode?

If you are in the DOS area there is no command to shut down. There is Exit that takes you back to Windows from within the command prompt. But that is about it. From within DOS you should be able to shut down without problems. It has something to do with the setup.

Since you are using Virtual software it has to be something within the software that isnt allowing the Virtual machine to reboot successfully.

No, I tried using the various compatability modes - to no avail.

I guess you're right...I don't know what to do right now. The game, by the way, is Dark Side of the Moon, by South Peak Interactive. According to one gamer:

There are many "Speech Selection Boxes" with many "Dialogue Trees" reminiscent of many games played such as GK1 an Sherlock Holmes and the Rose Tattoo and even more recently Tony Tough and the Night of The Roasted Moths. Well, for some really strange reason, The fonts same to be missing from the displays...That's right, just blank invisible letters. You can access the questions to ask but how do you know what you're asking if you can't see to ask the right questions? And the same thing Happens when you try to save. (How can you save when there is no text to write with?) It give a whole new meaning the phrase "Blind Man's Bluff"!

For some reason during the installation process...The Text program for this game does not install. An OCX command line is missing. So, here is a plea to the "patch writers and gaming hacks" out there in the universe. If you can write a patch for or better yet already have let us other poor folk know about it!

Yeah, thats the incompatability with WinXP....The game worked fine years ago, on the horrific windows ME Operating system. If I could get my hands on Windows 2000, do you think that it would work? I know its based on NT, however..., so maybe I'd experiance the same incompatability issues.

Are you using XP Home or XP Pro? I know that i had some compatability issues with some things on Pro that worked well on Home.

They should work on 2000 but i wouldnt mark my words on it. Best bet see if there is a patch or something that will allow for you to play it on XP.

I just want to thank you for responding to my posts;

as for your queries, I have XP Home. I used to have ME on a old computer, years ago, and the game worked fine on it.

As for patches, the company that created the game, Southpeak Interactive, has discontinued support of it completely. No patches, fixes, or any semblance of support for a windows XP user....so, I'm stuck with an Adventure game that I can't save or see dialogue options in.

I'm going to try Windows 2000...But, being based on the NT structure, it still might not work :/

I installed windows 2000, and tried to install the game in VMware, but got the message that 'launch32' [the installer] couldn't launch correctly or something. I guess that plan flew out the window.

I am at my wits end...I really wish Southpeak made at least a patch for WinXP....>_<

I tried looking for something of that sort when I was installing win98...with the failure of that and windows 2000, I'm convinced that If I want to play this game, I'm going to have to buy an old computer with windows ME or something on it.

that sounds pretty tempting...I'll have to review my funds, as I don't know if I can afford buying a low-grade computer for one game...I'll think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom