functionality of DOS in windows 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
i guess the DOS term means an operating system which dealt with the abstraction and management of disk devices. i guess the DOS under windows 1.0 was a more advanced version which did more than abstraction and management of disk devices hence the term DOS is a misleader for DOS used with Windows, correct?

DOS in Windows 1.0 was the OS. Windows 1.0 just like Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 was just a GUI put over DOS to try and simplify actions. Windows 1.0 was very buggy at best and didnt handle comands very well.

But with what you said "DOS is a misleader for DOS used with Windows" that sentance is correct. DOS used with Windows was never DOS. It was just a word based command script. It never had the full functionality of DOS. It is limited in what it can do compared to DOS.

thanks for the reply

i thought DOS used with windows extended the functionality of the true DOS?

Nope. DOS within Windows is very limited. If you want to see the true capabilties of DOS you have to install it as a OS in itself. DOS 6.22 was the last version of DOS to do this. The version after that were catared to Windows and very limited.

DOS in it pure form can do anything Windows can. Move, delete, partition, everything and then some. But after Widows can to be with Windows 95 and then even further in 98 there was no need for such a text based OS. As everything went to GUI based.

After the release of 200 there was basicly no need for DOS anymore and they totally removed even from being installed. Check back with you 95, 98 and ME installs. You could reboot into DOS. After 2000 the option was gone. There was no need for DOS. They only left a fragment of it within Windows for those die hards (myself included) that still prefer to do some things the old fashion way.

Even the commands offered by the Command prompt (technically not even DOS) are even limited by what they can do. They are limited on how many there are. Try a google search on DOs and find all the commands it had. You will see there were different version of DOS even that could do everything your heart desired. Now it is very limited to about a dozen really useful ones and other kept in there for the sake of geeks like me.

But with the list of Commands from all the different versions of DOS. I know that there are a few out there. I jsut dont remember all of the old DOS commands to remember which are gone.

There were literally thousands of DOS Commands. Compared to the few hundred that there is now.

thanks for the reply

so DOS within windows is actually a cut down version of the true DOS

Yes The version of DOS within Windows is a cut down version. Microsoft took only the commands that would be useful for Windows and kept them. While the others were elimated. I know for a fact that not all DOS codes are in the Windows DOS sice there was literally 15-20 different versions of DOS let alone the thousands of commands.

Actually there are many more than that out there. DOS was like Linux back in the day. Many people had written a version of DOS to do certian things that they wanted. It was just that there wasnt the distrubition method that there is today. Back then you had to get it out by word of Mouth and Floppies. There wasnt the net like there is now to just go to a site and download it.

This information is coming from experience. I was around and using PC's back when DOS was in it 5.0 stages and then used it with version 6.22 as the last version before Windows blew up. I used Windows 1.0-3.11 before Windows 95 was released. I have used Windows since then. So i have learned this info all from different people and different trials.

There was a site i knew back then...well not a site but it was a PC i used to dial into that i could get apps from. That was where i got a lot of different versions of DOS from. Back then the Web mainly consisted of Words not pics since the fastest modem we had was 900 bps (baud per second) and pictures would take a day to download.

What can i say after over 15 years of experience you pick up a few things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom