Conroe Mobo, buying now

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkS1d3

Baseband Member
Hey all,

Kind of a situation here, I've been waiting for Conroe to come out for quite some time, but I just can't wait any longer, my family needs an new computer, and I've been tasked to build it.

I have everything but mobo, ram and cpu. I've decided that I'm going to buy a motherboard that supports Core 2 Duo now, and put in a cheap Pentium-D to hold me over. Then I'll slap in an E6600 when I can get my hands on one.

I know that there aren't many motherboards out now, and I'm prepared to pay for what I need (around $200 or less preferable). Whatever board it is, it needs to support a Geforce 7900GT KO, as it's sitting next to me still in a box right now...

In short, I've been looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127004 and need opinions if it's quality or not, if not then what to replace it with, will it run well with Penti-D and E6600, and perhaps ram suggestions if anyone would like to.

Oh yes, and overclocking capabilities are important as well.

thanks alot guys
-Dark

ya i posted a bunch of stuff like this requesting what ram, mobo. etc is good for conroe, noone ever answered. good luck

sry man but ur familys gonna have to wait
intels going to be holding bak as much info as they can to sell out their older processors before finally releasing all their products

u prolly dont want to be overclocking a comp ur familys going to be using either...

I have a 7900GT KO waiting for this computer, it's also becoming my gaming computer, giving me primary rights to it, lol. I'll OC it as I please.

Thanks for letting me know ricochet, hopefully someone here knows something about the boards...

If not, then is Abit a quality company to go with regardless?

-thanks

Ive been looking around for the same information, and have figourd it out (finally)

Wait..

Thats it. many more motherboards will be realeased early next month and the ones out now are a) crazy expoensive and b) well hard to find, low supply , etc.

Basically you have to not only have an intel 975X or P965, or an ATi RD600 (not till august, adn EXSPENSIVE from what I understand).. BUT you have to have a certain REVISION of all of them..

Since your not going to get the proc till later, I would wait on the motherboard till later.. thats what I gotta do.. :(

I'd go with the Gigabyte DS3. It's one of the first major-name mobos that's offers nice performance for ~$150. Still not cheap, but what can ya do?

I'm gonna wait two or three more weeks, see what happens, and pray Conroe will be in stock at most places by the 7th of August.

I'd wait for Intel's "Bad Axe" motherboards. They've got some good built-in overclocking, and they're built with the enthusiast in mind.

The Asus P5W-DH or whatever is supposed to be decent. Its got some nice features (remote, built in wireless that can be used as an access point, etc) but it caps the bus to 450MHZ.. so you cant get over like 3.1.. Xbit did a good review with it..

Eventually I want to get WC and then OC that like CRAZY!

I've heard of a 483 MHz FSB with the Gigabyte DS3, and it's $50 or so cheaper than a P5W DH. Plus, people have been having trouble so far running Conroe on that mobo; ASUS hasn't released a Conroe-supporting revision yet, I think. A lot of tweaking needs to be done.

Orayn said:
I'd wait for Intel's "Bad Axe" motherboards. They've got some good built-in overclocking, and they're built with the enthusiast in mind.

I think that you can preorder them already at Tankguys.biz if they aren't out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom