DVD Progressive Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I admit I know very little about it. I knew that the monitors are capable however, from some of the stuff I was reading it seemed they were leaning toward (not the DVD player) the vid cards in older systems needing a decoder card. Actually, I'm pretty sure on that but it's been awhile since I've seen them and can't exactly remember. So, essentially you would have a decoder that was capable of progressive scan. Not a normal DVD decoder, like the very old cards when the drives first hit market, but a special card. If I remember right when they came out they were around $500.

yes, back in 2000 my dad bought a dell right when PC DVD players came out, and it had a separate card.

So i think we determined the output is what determins the quality now. If I have a current generation DVD player going through a 6900GT vid card through a DVI port into a 26inch LCD HDTV with 1366 x 768 resolution, it is the highest quality possible. Hooking up a separate DVD player will not give any better image.

The only reason this matters is that my sound system is all in my computer, and i have logitech z5500 speakers. I want to be able to use them for movies if i can.

****, I still dont have a computer DVD player. Should get one, though. I know jack about DVD players, my area is AD, networking and some programming/PC hardware.

Need to upgrade bad, but money is tight. Just had a baby about a month ago :)

EDIT: Well, actually, I MYSELF didn't have one, but you get the idea :D

The General said:
I have 2 DVD burners in mine. I'm all about copying DVD's :D

I have netflix. :)

<as the feds are a knock knockin' on your door> Gotta love people who readily admit, with no regard to their well being, their illegal activities. Why dont you start slinging weed, half baked style, and pass out business cards, and watch business boom, with no law interaction.

A DVD player in the computer is an absolutely wonderful thing, and they are super cheap man. You can get a burner, a high end one, for $36, and probably a player for less than $20. It's time you join us in the 21st century, my man! :) ;)

While we are on this topic, let us discuss upconverting and the HDMI interface. Alredy stated was that a computer, regardless, will display a DVD in the highest possible picture, wherever possible. If I get an HD DVD, will that be of even higher resolution on my computer than a regular DVD would get?

Onto the HDMI interface, if I was to get a DVD player capable of upconverting, would I need to use the HDMI interface to take advantage of that? (this all assuming I have an HDTV, which I do) Howstuffworks.com leads me to believe that I need an HDMI interface, whih my TV does not have. Sadly.

My TV also only has component, RCA, and S-video in/out, and no HDMI or DVI connection. What would give me the ebst picture if hooked up to my PC, S-video or composite?

in order of picture quality, here it is from highest to lowest

HDMI and DVI (same digital signal, HDMI just adds sound and copy protection crap)
Component (red blue green cables)
S-Video
RCA (yellow video, red white sound)

So for you go with component

Him said:
If I get an HD DVD, will that be of even higher resolution on my computer than a regular DVD would get?

If your computer monitor can support a resolution of 1940x1080, then HD-DVDs and Blu-Rays will be play at the maximun quality they can use as of this date.

The General said:
If your computer monitor can support a resolution of 1940x1080, then HD-DVDs and Blu-Rays will be play at the maximun quality they can use as of this date.

I have this TV: http://www.bizrate.com/televisiontv/pid6597479/

It's HD, so it will be able to handle any and all HD signals, right?

How much of a quality difference, if you know, is there between DVI and Component? How about between Component and S-video?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom