Help with a motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

spizzle

Baseband Member
First: I know the majority of people hate Dell, but my Dell has been really good to me. Haven't had any problems, and the hardware that broke (up until now) that required me to update, was my graphics card I bought. Oh and I know this is a bit long, but please read it. I need help.

Anyways, it's a Dimension 4550. My old GeForce4 Ti4200 fried in the fan area, so whenever I'd turn it on, it'd shut back down. So I bought a Radeon X1600 PRO AGP card, some more RAM, a new PSU, and a new motherboard to run it on AGP 8x. Everything went good until I went to actually install everything.... Basically, I had to butcher the back of my case to get the PSU to fit and I had to butcher the back of the metal plate the motherboard sits on for my new one to fit. Go to turn it on, and go figure, it doesn't work.

So basically, the problem that I figured out is the actual button to turn the computer on. The button is on the front, but it's connected with a cable (either 9 or 11 pin) to the USB drive that's on the front of my case. Thennn, there's another cable (same thing, 9 or 11 pin) that goes to my motherboard. Now, the problem is, my new motherboard doesn't have a connection for that. I figured I would just lose my front USB ports, until it dawned on me that I can't even turn my computer on. So I figured I'd just take one for the team and put my old motherboard back in, and just run my vid card on AGP 4x. But somehow in the process of all this, my original motherboard got fried. No idea how, but it did.

So, to cut this long story short, can anyone help me out? I've looked at new motherboards online, but from what I can see in the pictures, none of them have this mysterious 9 or 11 pin connection on the motherboard? I've looked at my new motherboard a few times and I just can't figure out if there's something else I can do? I'm hoping there's a simple fix for this, or possibly someone knows of a motherboard that will work for me. I don't want to build a new computer because I need the money for other things. Please help me.

And if no one knows what the **** I'm talkin about, I can take some pictures.

Get a new case with the new mobo. Dell likes using proprietary parts... including cases.

A new mobo will have an I/O shield that goes in the back of the case so that it fits right. Your new PSU will bolt right in.

Any suggestions for what I should buy? Like I said, I'm trying to keep it pretty cheap here. I don't really need anything fancy like PCI-E. Just somethin that will support AGP 8x, and DDR-400 RAM. It'd be a plus if it'd accept DDR-333 as well, that way I could use my old stick of 512.

Is there a solution other than just buying a new case? Or is my case only compatible with the Dell-specific motherboard? Where does the power button on a different case generally hook into?

Even though your mobo is a micro, it will fit in that case. Everything should plug in fine.

Ok cool, thanks for the help. Where exactly on my new motherboard will the power button plug in at?? I've never really done anything except swap graphics card and RAM, so this is all new to me.

The problem is that Dell purposely uses custom watered down parts so that you have to upgrade through them. They don't use standards that make the normal pc modding world work. That's why the ATX power supply didn't fit in the Dell case, becuase Dell cases don't follow any standard. Same with every single piece of your computer. The only part that isn't customized is the Hard Drive and Processor, and optical drives. That case will work fine, but I would not put the old memory from the dell into the new mobo. I had a similar problem many years ago.

Ok, now I have a new problem... Whenever windows starts to boot, I get a blue screen of death. I really hope that this is a simple problem, and at the worst that I might have to reformat and re-install my copy of Windows. The error code I get is.

Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7A86528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Hopefully I didn't somehow mess up my hard drive. When my motherboard boots up, it's detecting everything installed on it. It's detecting my RAM, my hard drive, both my CD drives, and my processor. My vid-card is working, because obviously I wouldn't be able to see anything otherwise. Do you guys have any idea what's causing this? I'm gonna start researching now and hopefully find a cure...

EDIT: Oh and it won't start in safe mode either. Get the exact same thing. I tried booting from my motherboard install disk, and it did the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom