windows 2000 home edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, just 2000 and 2000 pro. Its not like XP home and Pro but. I guess you can call it that since they did for xp

my understanding was that they did it for xp is because they had combined the nt based os and the dos based os into one NT based xp, hence they had to create two different flavours of xp

what is the difference between win 2000 and win 2000 xp?

rookie1010 said:
my understanding was that they did it for xp is because they had combined the nt based os and the dos based os into one NT based xp, hence they had to create two different flavours of xp

XP is fully NT based, there isn't a scrap of DOS about it. THe reason for Home and pro is simply money making for micro$oft. Home is simply a cutdown verson of PRO, a windows xp "lite" if you like.

thanks for the reply

do you know what they have cut out of windows xp professional to make it windows xp home edition?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

Windows XP Home Edition

* Contains basic support for security among multiple users.
* Built-in support for peer-to-peer networking, but only for up to five computers.
* The backup utlity is not installed by default, but is included on the CD.

Windows XP Professional Edition

* Includes extended support for security between multiple users on the same machine.
* Better support for peer-to-peer networking, plus support for joining a "Windows NT domain."
* The backup utlity is installed by default.
* The Professional edition includes the following components not found in the Home edition:
o Administrative Tools (in the Start Menu and Control Panel)
o Automated System Recovery (ASR)
o Boot Configuration Manager
o DriverQuery
o Group Policy Refresh Utility
o Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI) add-on
o NTFS Encryption Utilitiy
o Offline Files and Folders
o OpenFiles
o Performance Log Manager
o Remote Desktop
o Scheduled Tasks Console
o Security Template Utility
o Taskkill
o Tasklist
o Telnet Administrator
* Provides support for multi-processor systems (2 or 4 CPUs), Dynamic Disks, Fax.

Actually there were 4 versions of Windows 2000. There was Windows 2000 Pro, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Windows 2000 DataCenter Edition.

There never was a Windows 2000. That was Pro. the Pro was Server. At least in most people's minds. But the true linage of Windows 2000 i put above. There wasnt a plain version.

Windows XP was the hybrid of OS's from M$. It incorporated the 9X platform and the NT platform.

Basically they cut out most of the hardcore Networking features. That is the easiest way to sum it up.

Makaveli213 said:
Actually there were 4 versions of Windows 2000. There was Windows 2000 Pro, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Windows 2000 DataCenter Edition.

There never was a Windows 2000. That was Pro. the Pro was Server. At least in most people's minds. But the true linage of Windows 2000 i put above. There wasnt a plain version.

Windows XP was the hybrid of OS's from M$. It incorporated the 9X platform and the NT platform.

Basically they cut out most of the hardcore Networking features. That is the easiest way to sum it up.

i'm confused about your second paragraph

"the Pro was Server"

i've ran pro for....i dunno over 3 years i guess but never seen any features that 2000 server offered?

What i meant by that is that the Windows 2000 Pro is what everyone calls Windows 2000. Windows 2000 Server is what people call Windows 200 Pro. Since they didnt realise that there wasnt a Home or basic edition of Windows 2000. Kinda like how we call XP either Jsut XP for Home edition and XP Pro for the Pro. Didnt mean to confuse you on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom