Computer will not boot at all, BIOS issue??? Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TmoneyLapina

Beta member
I built a new computer a couple months ago. I leave it on all the time, and a couple weeks ago, I came home and it was sitting on the BIOS boot screen. I shut it down, powered it on, and it came up to Windows. Everything was still installed, but the Windows desktop looked fresh, like I had just installed Windows XP. I ran a Ghost recovery, and everything came up fine. A couple days later, I come home, and it's sitting on the BIOS boot screen again. After rebooting, it came up fine, this time with all my settings on the desktop intact. It happened about 2 more times in the following week. I shut off System Recovery and hibernation mode, and I thought that would fix things. I also Flashed the BIOS to the most current update. The last 2 days, I come home, and Windows is sitting at the logon screen, asking for my password. Last night, it's on the logon screen again, and after entering in my password, I get the blue screen of death. The system reboots, and hangs on the BIOS boot screen. I shut off the computer completely, and let it sit for a few minutes. Now, when I try to turn it on, it powers up (the fans start up and you can hear it running), but nothing boots up. There is power going to the motherboard, but the monitor light just blinks (it's getting no signal). I tried my old video card, but I got the same results. So I know it's not a video card problem. My motherboard has the little 2-digit LED that gives you error codes. When I power it on, it flashes 83 (meaning ATX power supply ready), and then it goes to 90 (Complete UGURU initial process, AWARD BIOS taking over boot job). From there, it just hangs on 90, and you can hear nothing happening or booting up. Any ideas? Could it be a bad motherboard or problem with the BIOS? Could it be a problem with the RAM or processor? Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I'm completely clueless now. I contacted Abit, and he said it's either RAM or the BIOS. He told me it wouldn't be the CPU at all, but I'm a little weary about that. I've already cleared the CMOS, but that didn't work. Thanks in advance for any help. My configuration is listed below.

First I would download a memory tester and run in your system.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

If any errors show up when running it is a bad module. Need to make sure you run the test on each module individually.

Could also be a heating issue. How many fans do you have installed?

What did the BSOD say at the top? Do not need all the 0s and stop error just the file or dll it pointed to.

Hope this helps.

First off, thank you for the response. First, I can't run a memory tester program, because I can't even get it to boot up. I don't have a backup system that I can use this DDR memory on to test temporarily. Second, I'm not sure what the BSOD said, because when it came up, the computer shut down about 5 seconds later, before I could read it. Finally, I'm not too sure it was an overheating problem. The case has stayed pretty cool. I have a thermaltake fan on the processor, a fan in the rear of the case, one on the side, and one on top of the case. I think after a couple months of running fine, overheating would've been an issue earlier. I contact Abit tech support, and they feel it's either the RAM or the BIOS. I tried each stick of RAM individually, but neither would allow the system to boot up. I'm thinking it has to be the BIOS/motherboard. The POST error code on the board usually runs through several codes quickly while booting up; however, when I turn it on now, it goes to code 90 instantly and stops. Code 90 is in the book as, Award BIOS taking over. Looks I'll be sending the board back and waiting a month for it to return. Thank you.

There you go....I would have thought it was a bad board. Usually manufacturers do not like saying it is their fault but in this case there is no other direction to take. Glad to see you got it figured out.

:cool:

It's a 350watt power supply. I built this PC to replace the one I had before it, which burned up. On my old PC 3 months ago, the power supply burned up and took the motherboard with it. I only replaced the case, power supply, and motherboard....the original processor and RAM worked fine off of it. But when that old motherboard went, it could have damaged the CPU and RAM, so those might still be an issue. I'll wait for my new motherboard and see if that's the problem first, and then go from there. I hate waiting 2 to 3 weeks for the new one though....damn.

I do nt think the power supply is adequate, either. I'd go 400, also could of tried reseating the vid card. Oh, and may want to go and change the system error recovery. Rt click on my computer, goto properties, click advanced tab, click the Recovery button and then remove the check mark from reboot under the system error. That way it wont auto reboot from a critical error and you can see exactly what it says. Maybe memory, power, CPU or just vid needs reseating considering it looked like you vid went out at one point. Not a good connection? So ya, fastest thing is to reseat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom