Still confused about Conroe....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tox1cThreat

In Runtime
Hey guys, I know there has been a few bench marks for the conroe and all of them have been very much in the favor of Intels new lineup. However Ive noticed that benchmarks typically only match up the higest end chips from both.

As far as performance differences in lower end chips, how much improvement will we actually see?

The lowest Core Duo will be the X6300 for $183 (USD) and on the 24th of this month AMD will drop their procs. So, the equivaliet (pricewise) will be the AMD 64 X2 3800+ for $163 (or 196) USD. Will the Core Duo still beat it? and if so, by how much?

Noting the video cards as well.. many of thses tests are dont with X1900XT or 7900 GT or wahtever, well Ill be using a X1600XT so how much difference will I see there..

Finally, the issue of upgradability. AMD obviously has a response (I cant really find one right now tho). Althought I heard that they will be having a major change in the begining of 2007. So if someone is considering upgrading in 2 years or so what would we be looking at to upgrade to? AM2 will be forward compatible with AM3..

Basically, Im looking at the conroe from a few different angles. not just performance (which was said not to be overly noticable in a real world situation) but as far as its impact in other areas..

Anyone got ideas on this?

what are you comparing the x1600xt with?

even the lowest end conroe is said to be better than the fastest AMD.. so yes, the low end conroe is better than the 3800+.

i don't know much about AM3, but i know AMD plans to hold onto AM2 for a while.. i believe they'll be releasing their new 65nm chips on the AM2 platform..

conroe kicks all s939/am2s atm. and will until am3 comes out or that K8 architecture amd has planned.

isn't the current architecture the k8 architecture?

k6 (my old old comp)
k7 athlons/duron
k8 athlon 64/sempron

sorry if I am wrong, but the cheapest conroe would be the e6600, the lower end chips are called Allendale, or am I wrong?

So when theAMD X2 3800+ drops to liek $150 or what ever would it be worth it to get it? or Would it be better just to get the lowest Conroe for around the same price?

the E6300 would be equivlant or higher in terms of performance than a x2 4400.

-Jo.

That is following benchmarks of several sites, I Cannot quote links ATM because my PC is not in the shelter with me and I Cannot reach it=\.

^sorry man.. check PM.

Ok, well Ive been avoiding work mostly all day here at the office. reading reviews, looking at benchmarks, adn finally deciding that the E6300 is worth getting pased my unhappy views with intel. So, Im looking at a E6300 in the near future..

Im still wondering how much it will help me as the new build has a X1600XT not X1800 or higher.

Im sure that it will help me a bit if not in gaming in other areas, every little bit will help out. And I plan on some overclocking as well, from what Ive read it can get around 2.9 :) BIG GRIN!!

So I mentioned this in the other thread, but whats a good motherboard/chipset.. all the 975X chipset motherboard are pretty steep except for the Asus P5W DH. But that one has lower headroom for the OC...

So. back to the drawing board.. once I get a mobo figured out, Ill be (just like the crunch wrap from Taco Bell) Good To Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom