My final Decision for a new computer (specs and what not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylertherobot

In Runtime
Radeon 9600XT 128MB
SB Audigy 2 Platinum
(2x)30GB 7200RPM RAID-0
(1x)160GB 7200
4x DVD+-R/+-RW
16xDVD/52x24x52x Combo
Athlon XP 3200+ (400fsb)
Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum
1024 MB Kinston HyperX (2X512)
Generic Black Mid-tower ATX.
TT Volcano 11 CPU Fan&Heatsink
Thermaltake 80mm High Performance DC fan (3s)

$1300.00

Generic Wireless Optical Desktop
Creative Labs 7.1 Sound system

$160.00

19" Flat CRT

$200.00

What do you guys think? Good cost for all of that?

you might want to wait about a week for the new video cards to come out, just watch the price of the Radeon 9800's then

you might want to save your money by not going wireless on your mouse and keyboard; in games, a higher latency on these, especially the mouse can affect your gameplay - I have a friend who learned this the hard way
you might want to look around for little computer stores which usually sell them for less

on your hard drive/s you shoud go Western Digital or Seagate, I'd personally go with Seagate as they are very good quality, fast, less expensive, and virtually silent

for your mobo, I'm sure you know what socket A is, I'd reccomend a Gigabyte GA-7N8X (dual BIOS's so you can skrew one and you don't have to replace the board) or an Asus A7N8X (ive heard they are very good quality)

good choice with Kingston RAM

also, you can not really be sure about the quality of the PSU in your case, if you feel like it, you may want to get a Thermaltake Lanfire VM1000A (black) or VM2000A (silver) - prolly the least expensive Thermaltake cases, but IMO the best looking apart from Damier, which is like the most expensive
they come with 4 silent fans so you won't have to buy any extra fans - except for your CPU fan - and they come with a temperature monitor at the front

for your PSU you will want to go with a Thermaltake PurePower or an Antec, the Thermaltake will match the case I suggested, and they have silent fans

Yeah, everything you have is nice except you will be able to get the 9800 pro for that price in about a month im sure. The new cards are comming out so if you can wait it will definately be worth it.

Getting a wireless mouse and keyboard is fine as long as you get the logitech mx duo - I have heard wonderful things from gamers about the response and smoothness on those things...

As for the hard drives, I would go with western digital. I have been using those drives for all my life and they are extremely reliable for me. My oldest ones are 4 gig drives that were always running untill about a year ago when I went from petium 1 to p4...LOL I have never seen a western digital drive die before. As for silence and performance, I never hear the hdd over the noise of the cpu fan an my vantec stealths... Oh and by the way, don't forget to get the drives with 8mb of cache... Good luck and happy gaming!

Yeah I know that the Logitechs are nice and I just noticedon slashdot the positive reviews the new NVidia card is getting so I'm going to wait awhile - That's just stuff I threw together for under 1500.00 and I won't be buying until May so I'm sure I can get more stuff for it. As far as latency in games go with the keyboard and mouse that just doesn't matter - I very rarely play games! Most of my computer activity is playing with network settings and programming. Considering I'm doing server scripting for my own network in my house it doesn't really matter how fast the stuff goes, and desk top clutter is a HUGE concern since I'm also getting a Mixing board and a Moog, Monosynth, and synth that are gonna be right by my desk as well as some more recording equipment in my room - I'm actually building something in to my wall to house all of this. I was originally going to spend 3500.00 on my new computer total, but decided against it when i saw the high prices of monosynths and moogs (I don't want to get miniature ones)

Hope that explains ;p

You dont need a dvd drive if you already have a combo drive, might lower the price a bit if your on a budget

I agree with everyone above.

Get a Asus K7N8X motherboard - very nice.

Also wait for the graphics cards to fall in price.

Get Logitech for playing games - I have an old-skool MX310 and its great for Unreal Tournament :D

You can go to alienware.com and custimize your own aurora
A bit pricey but you can add the new nvidia card into that machine already so thats a plus and you can probably make a good comp for 3000 with monitor

make sure you use SATA when you buy the HD..
also, check warranties, seagate for example has only like 1 year..

where is the ethernet~

id wait another year then you could realy save ..hehe
But seriously the video cards will be dropping soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom