Question about "bad audio".....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dee Dee!

Beta member
I purchased an Emachine a couple years back, and right from Jump Street, the audio has been crap. This is to say, it sounds sort of like it is being piped through a bullhorn. (Not amplified that way, but "muddied", you know?)

I tried different speakers, and that wasn't the issue. I figured, "I don't use the sound that much, so who cares?"

Well, I'm to the point where I just would like to have a regular sounding system.

My question to the pros from Dover out there........is this a simple fix I can do with some tender guidance from some of you, or do I need to send my unit off to the shop for "who knows how long", to get it looked at?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

ya. buy a cheap sound card, and pop it into a pci slot on your motherboard, install the drivers and shabam, your sound should be ok then,

Here, get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102176

On the back of your computer, on the rightside, there will be two large thumbscrews. Remove these screws. Now, you can push the sidepanel back and off.

On your motherboard, you'll see 3 or 4 white rectangles with slots, in the lower left corner. These are the PCI slots.

There should be a screw on the case infront of the PCI slot. Take the screw out, and take the little cover off, and then put your soundcard into the PCI slot. Be gentle, but be firm at the same time. Once it's in the PCI slot, put the screw threw the metal on the soundcard, and into the case to secure it.

Put the sidepanel back on, and put the two thumb-screws back in, and fire up your machine. When the eMachines logo comes up, press and hold F2 until the BIOS menu comes up. Go down to "Integrated Peripherals". Now go to something like "OnChip PCI device" (I'm not sure what the exact name is for your BIOS). Once there, look for something audio related. Mine says "OnChip Audio Controller", find something similar. When you got it, press enter and change it to Disabled.

Press F10, and then hit Y, then enter to save changes. Your PC will reboot. When it comes to the desktop, insert the driver disc to install the card's drivers.

I'm sorry if I just confused the **** out of you. :)

Well, it came today, and I popped it in. It was pretty easy, thanks to the help from CrazeD.

The only issue I have......the sound is fine, but very low! Even at full volume, I am at about what I would consider 2-3 on a 10 scale.

Sumpin' aint right!

?????????????

Did you check the system settings in your operating system, as well? It should be set to high by default, but someone might have moved it. Check 'sounds' in 'control panel' if you're using windows, there should be a slider for device volume.

It seems to on;y be the one drive. "DVD" came in loud in clear when I put it in there, but the "CD" drive was real weak.

The settings were amped up all the way. Thanks, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom