Cant decide on Single or Dual core Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I know, but I can't really get that extra cash since I'm still going in the university and dont exactly work for my own money yet. So i guess the older stuff'll work for me. My budget is too rigid to add another 60-100$ for the upgrade (for 1gig DDR2 ram). And note that i'm planning on reusing most of my other parts including HDD and the RAM.

you could get an E6300 that is equivlant to an 4400+ AMD dual core [or even better] for like 200$ +/-

Or the E6600 conroe which outmatchs the AMD FX-62 for around 350-400$ [We can't tell the price for sure yet sadly, time will tell]

-Jo.

Maybe your right. Only time will tell. Maybe I should just hold off my purchase for a while and see how the prices change AFTER conroe is released. Maybe Ill be able to decide by then.

thats the smartest way to go.

and the facts that the conroe e6300 is equivlant [or better than] to a x2 4400, and that the e6600 outmatchs a fx-62 are both proven facts by various benchmarks.

Its the prices that none other than time can tell.

-Jo

To prevent posting the same topic, I just posted here.
Help me please:

So here's my findings for AMD Athlon64 and Athlon64 X2. Correct me if some part are wrong

AMD Athlon64 Single Core processor
Advantages:
- take advantage of most games right now because all games are designed for single-core
Disadvantages:
- cant multi task heavily

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-core processor
Advantages:
- readies user for future applications and games that will take advantage of multi-threaded applications
Disadvantages:
- not too much performance gain from single core processor

Im planning to get AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Is this the lowest processor number of X2 line? Last price I saw for this is $160. Is this a good decision over choosing single core Athlon 64? No conroe suggestions please.

By the way Im choosing Socket Am2 as the CPU platform.

Yes the 3800X2 is the lowest you can go. Yes again, it's a much better idea to get an X2 over a single core Athlon.

reggie_da_man said:
Yes the 3800X2 is the lowest you can go. Yes again, it's a much better idea to get an X2 over a single core Athlon.

If it is true, they might be releasing the X2 3600+ for like 120ish, to compete with that pentium d that cost like 100 bucks :freak:

dude, just since no opne put it blunty,, processor speed isnt the only imnportant thing,, a 2 ghz athlon 3200 with beat a 3 ghx p4 or at least match it, having said that theE6300 speed seems low but its performance kicks ***

I just checked out our local computer shops and discovered that the Conroe and even the AMD X2 isnt even available here in our country. It wont be brought here for at least a year. Too bad for me :angry: . Well I guess I'll just push through with my planned single core AMD machine.

Is this good enough to run Guild Wars on full and at least run doom 3 on medium settings and does not lag?

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500
Mobo: MSI RS482M4 (DDR RAM 400)
Video Card: GeForce FX6600LE 256mb 128 bit pci-e
PSU: Dont know the brand yet 500W
Ram: My same old 2x 256mb + 1x 512mb DDR ram (1 gig total)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom