operating system not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
I was moving parts for my bro's comp to another case, and now when I turn it on it says "Operating System not found". I turn it off and turn it on again, it runs fine. I found out that it happens when I shut off the computer and the first turning on of the computer says that but the second time is fine. So every other reboot is fine. How do I fix this?

sounds like a bad hard drive, that i needs almost a "jump start" to get it going. looks like it may not be powering on fast enough for the sytem to boot to it and needs that second off then on to give it time to spin up.

what are the full specs of the computer (including PSU and all expansion cards).?

Hmm maybe it has to do with the jumpers, I set it to master.

For the specs it's an old HP:
P3 800mhz
512mb ram
GeForce MX420
30GB WD
ethernet card
i think the PSU is about 235W

Re:

Hello,

As well as jumper postition, have you checked your boot order of your devices in the BIOS settings?

Also, is there a working battery on the motherboard for the BIOS CMOS?

The reason I asked about your PSU was that I used to get symptoms like that when I didn't have enough power going to the drive (I had too much load on that rail)

Thats a pretty low output PSU there so maybe this is the problem? make sure the HDD is on its own rail and see if that helps.

It is on it's on rail. But I think I may have solved the problem. When Alvin mentioned the boot order it was first floppy, cd, hard drive, and network. I remember taking out the floppy as I moved the parts into the other case. So I changed it to cd, hard drive, network, floppy. After saving I turned it off and then turned it on again, and didn't see the error. So I guessed that worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom