Cant decide on Single or Dual core Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jadariin said:
It seems that conroe is quite good but it isnt released yet. And the prices are way too steep for me ($500+ for the 2.6 ghz vesion) so I guess the lower priced AMDs will do. I'm just aiming to run my Guild Wars on high settings at 1024x768 and at least run doom 3 at medium settings without lagging. I'm not looking for the latest but thanks for the info though

Take a look at the review here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e6300.html

It's 1.86Ghz. Going to cost about $180. From other benchmarks, this processor can beat even the AMD A64 X2 4600+. This is on stock settings too, not overclocked.

It does look tasty :) Maybe Ill try that. Oh and one more thing are there Dual Core compatible mobos that support ddr (not ddr2) ram cards? If not, I may need to upgrade my ram cards if thats the case.

Do you think the 939 motherboard can support conroe? I just want to know since Ive searched the net and found out that most conroe mobos to be released are only ddr2 compatible.

Conroe=Core2 Duo which= Intel which= NO compatibility w/ AMD boards (S939) lol. Also all new Intel (Conroe) and AMD (AM2) boards will only support DDR2. If you get a Conroe (E6300) you will need a new mobo that supports it, DDR2, and a PCI-Express grahics card. The X2 3800+ for 169 (the 23rd) is not a bad choice IF you want to keep your DDR. I suggest getting the E6300 myself becasue the COnroes pwn. Period.

Oh, forgive me for my ignorance. Hehe. Then can anyone suggest an AMD dual core processor that is about the 180$-200$ price range but still offers a good performance? Just as long its not ancient. I'm really on a tight budget and I can't afford to buy a new set of DDR2 cards thats going to reach 1 gig since I'm already planning to upgrade a lot of stuff. I sure hope that AMD processors prices drop after conroe so that I can fit them into my budget :D

hmm... Why AMD? any reason you eliminate Intel from your mind?

And DDR2 is not much more expensive [if at all, depends on the latencies & Speeds] than a normal DDR.

-Jo

Basing my decision on the performace on gaming of the older AMD models over intel is a factor. Though intel is not totally eliminated from my mind (since I do use Intel right now 2.8ghz P4) many say that AMD is more of a gamer's brand. I know that Conroe will wipe AMD's *** all over the floor I can't squeeze it in my budget more so if I would add the costs of buying a new mobo + new set of ram cards + psu + video card (I am planning to upgrade to a not so obsolete system and not a insanely new rig.)

Ok here it is my current system:
Asus P4B533 motherboard
Nvidia GeForce4 MX400
Intel Pentium 4 2.8 ghz
2x 256mb + 1 512 mb RAM

and planning at least

A dual core Mobo (w/ support of DDR)
Geforce 6600 (or A little better)
A Processor that is a least a little faster than what I have
and the same set of DDR I have

Im willing to pay for about 500$ for all of it. It doesnt need to be new, but it shouldnt be ancient either.

Now if there are other Intel game performances that topples AMD's performance that I missed can someone fill me in? I might change my mind on buying AMD.

excluding conroe and the core duo, AMD is by far the leader in power, so with what you are looking at, I would say you will be definitely going for an AMD based system.

Charlie -

yeah but if you DON'T Exclude the intel Conroe then AMD is actualy pretty much behind in both price and performance.

-Jo.

BTW Why do you insist on a regular DDR?... DDR2 does just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom