XP Pro will not stay in Standby or Hibernate

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshC

Baseband Member
Whenever I try to put my computer into Standby or Hibernate mode it will go for just long enough to shut my monitor off and then come back, so about 5 seconds. I have checked my BIOS and all of my wake-up settings are disabled. I have also run anti-virus and there doesn't appear to be any problems there. Does anybody have any idea what the problem may be?

could be a memory issue with not having enough
or hd space for hibernation....but i would think it wouldn't let you if you didn't have enought hd space.

anyway,

right click desktop/properties/screensave/power/hibernate tab - check to see if it's enabled and enough room.

i however do not like hibernate, it has always given me problems and such with not coming out of it.

I've got plenty of hd and memory space. It completly confuses me that it will go for about 5 seconds and then turn back on.

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this problem? I have messed around checking my BIOS and for any programs running in the background. I have my Firewall and Internet Security programs along with AIM running but that is it. I used to be able to go into hibernate and standby before with those running.

Do you have a broadband or other active network connection? If so, that can wake up your computer. It used to happen to both of mine. After updates and a clean install not including the software from the DSL router this one works fine, although the other still can't stand by. I don't know of any actual fix, I just got lucky.

CntdwnToExtn said:
could be a memory issue with not having enough
or hd space for hibernation....but i would think it wouldn't let you if you didn't have enought hd space.
How much hd space is required? I have the same problem, It won't stay in standby or hibernate.

I unplugged my network and it would stay in hibernate so I guess it has something to do with that even tho I've got it set to not wake up on LAN.

A quick search showed that RASPPPOE can fix this, but I haven't tried it. Apparently using PPP-over-ethernet is a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom