New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newdude36253564

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, Im getting a new computer, and I wanted to know if this setup will work fast and be good for gaming too, also I looked for hardware that would allow me to upgrade to better things in the future. My specs are:

Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX
Form Factor ATX
Processor Interface Socket 775
Processors Supported Intel 05B, Intel Pentium 4, Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, Intel Pentium D
HyperThreading Technology
LAN Type 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit
PCI Slots 2
Intel 975X Express Northbridge chipset
800/1066MHz Front Side Bus support
DDR2 533/667MHz Memory up to 8GB
3 PCI Express x16
SATA II up to 3 GB/s with RAID

Intel Pentium D 930 3.0Ghz
Socket 775
Bus Speed 800Mhz
Intel Virtualization Technology
Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology
Dual Core

Intel Copper Core Socket 775 CPU Cooling Fan

Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt Power Supply

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA-300 Hard Drive
160 GB
Serial ATA 300
Buffer Memory 8MB
Average Seek <8.5msec
Up to 3000 mb/s

And I will add in
OCZ EL PC2-5400 DDR2 667MHz Gold Memory probably up to 2 gigs

Also, Does anyone have any suggestions for the ultimate video card for gaming? And is there a windows OS with 64 bit? The processors keep saying they support 64 bit but how am I supposed to use it?

I will put it all in a Premium 2531 Blue ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, so I can look at the sweet mobo.
Thanks for any help and comments.

If you can hold out for a couple of weeks, Intel's Core2 Duo's (Conroe) will be out. They are basically the fastest CPUs, period (for now).

They use the same LGA 775 as P4's, as well as DDR2.

Go with either a 7900 GT or better, or whatever the high end is with ATI.

Don't worry about a 64-bit version of Windows. 32 bit is fine. There can be driver troubles with 64 bit Windows.

dude, im guessing by that description that ur getting it prebuilt? well if im right, build it urself! and yes wait for the Intel Core 2 Duos.

No im building it myself, im getting it from tiger direct in a semi bundle but im buying the hard drive seperatly. See the problem is im asking for this for my 16th birthday coming up in august 9 so I dont have that much time, plus im on a small budget so wont the conroe be very expensive? Also which is better Ati or Nvidia video cards?

Happy B-Day!

If you are going to purchase now and your budget is somewhat limited you might want to consider AMD CPU's.

At this juncture AMD CPU's are faster for gaming, though that is about to change.

AMD CPU's overclock readily and can give you a free "upgrade"

Yes Conroe will be costly:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1619

In addition you might want to take a poll or do some reading on the dual core issue w/ gaming. The majority of games are not designed for dual core - yet...

I am a gamer w/ a dual core and I have been able to work the bugs out - wasn't too difficult.

RAM - Definatley 2GB
HDD - Maybe a larger capacity (won't cost too much more).
OC'ing? - Maybe a Zalman or Thermaltake

Vid Card - Try the 7900 GT KO - good price w/ headroom to OC

ya I would go with a 7900gt ko, If you can you might want to compare those prices with newegg. (www.newegg.com) for a cpu look into a Athlon 640 3800, or better (single core) get a venice core or even a san diego. they are better for OCing.

There is also newegg and zipzoomfly and many other Good PC websites, So Shop around.

As for the power supply, That Makes me want to puke.

Go for either "A" 550 Watt antec Models or one of the 535 Watt Enermax Models.

Thanks for the advice, do you mean that a game will definatly not run with a dual core even though you have system requirements? or is it a driver problem or a patch that can be downloaded, ive fixed many problems with games before so im guessing itll be ok. Also is the power supply really that important? it seems like all it does is supply power what more could there be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom