Building computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricks98cobra

Solid State Member
Hey guys, this is my first post on here, and I just had a couple of questions. First of all, I've never built my own computer, but I have a pretty good understanding on where everything gets connected and so forth.

My question is on the components that I picked - will they all work together?

Here's the rough list I put together from tigerdirect.com. I'm looking to spend no more than $900 on the system, and $100 for the OS (WinXP,OEM). If you have a suggestion on something I should do differently, please let me know! I plan on using the computer for games and video editing.

H14-1004 :: High Power ATX Mid-Tower with 420Watt Dual Fan Power Supply, Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports $69.99

MBM-P4P800-3000NC :: Asus P4P800 Deluxe Socket 478 Motherboard with Pentium4 3.0 GHz 800MHz Processor $374.99

K24-4906 :: Kingston 512MB Non-ECC, CL3 PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory $99.99

P450-8503 :: XFX nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Video Card / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / TV Out & DVI $94.99

S167-3240 :: Sony DRU530A DVD Burner / 8x4x12x DVD+RW / 4x2x12x DVD-RW / 40x24x40x CD-RW / Dual Format $146.99

THD-1200AA P :: Seagate 120GB / 7200 / 2MB / ATA-100 EIDE Hard Drive $99.99

M17-7500 :: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition OEM Version $99.99

Thanks! Any help is appreciated!

First thing that jumps out is that those prices arent that great. Try www.newegg.com and see if the total ends up better.

Second, that hard drive has a 2mb buffer. You want 8mb.

Other than that... looks okay.

Shrapnill -

Thanks for the suggestion! I priced it all out at newegg.com, and the prices did seem to be cheaper, and IMO I think I'll be buying a better computer in the end with newegg.com.

Total comes to $1034, and here's the link with all the specs on it.
http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=711850

If anyone has a minute, could you check it out and see if I missed anything? Also, does it look like it'll all work together nicely?

Thanks again guys!

-Rick

(EDIT: Messed up the kind of RAM I was getting, should be set now!)

i would strongly caution you about risking your entire $1000 system on a cheapo pice of crap 350watt power supply that came bundled with a $46 case, thats just asking for trouble. if you need a cheap power supply get the enlight 420 on newegg.

if you want to save a few hundred dollars get an AMD mobo & XP2800/xp3000 processor instead. also your hard disk is ata100, it will bottleneck your processor and memory on applications so you are basically wasting your money. get a SATA or ATA133 hard disk instead.

Hey guys,

I updated it with your suggestions ekÆsine, and what I added was a SATA 80gb hard drive(SAMSUNG - SP0812C), and changed the case to a $49 case with a 420watt power supply(RAIDMAX Black 10-bay Case with 420W Power Supply, Model "ATX-868WBP").

I'm going to stay with the Intel/P4 mobo and processor though.

Any more input is greatly appreciated...thanks again!

-Rick

Are you going to be overclocking?

If you are, you might want to change the mobo to an ASUS or ABIT.

Other than that, nice setup, though I still think you should consider a seperate PSU.

ata100 and SATA or ATA133 HDD use same connector to motherboard or can someone explain difference and the connectors.

some other little things you will need is the thermal compound for the cpu and fan. also if ur doing that raidmax case i would do some cold cathodes and round cables. i also reccomend running an asus or abit and one thats compatible with dual channel memory. If u do like 2 256mb dual channels.

I actually don't plan on overclocking the computer at all, so that's why I went with the intel board, it looks like a nice high quality board for the 3.0, so that's what I'll do. The thermal compound that mrzeedler mentioned where is that applied to? On the mobo or processor? Also, one last question, the 420W PSU that comes with the RAIDMAX case, is that not sufficient enough? I am really lost when it comes to this power supply stuff, and not entirely sure why it makes that big of a deal...can someone enlighten me?

mrzeedler - What are cold cathodes used for and why round cables?

Thanks again for all your help guys!

-Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom