Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

relentless

Solid State Member
I plan to order a PCI graphics card but my computer only has a 200W psu if I try to use the Nvidia GeForce FX5500 which requires 250W will my computer still function properly or will it blow up or something?

lol it doesnt really require 250W, it barley even require 80W if not less, much much much less even, they just say that for the genereal health of the system it is recommended to have an 250Watt+ PSU because once the PSU is overloaded it will either crush[fry or shutdown] OR your pc will function but really slow because its not getting enough juice ;)

Just get some generic 400watt they are dirt cheap nowdays anyway....... if it ain't no high end machine that'll power it up just fine.

-Jo.

I have a question (sorry but its same topic). If I get a grapics card that requires 300W PSU will it work with my 235W PSU? or will it blow up?

Yoad said:
lol it doesnt really require 250W, it barley even require 80W if not less, much much much less even, they just say that for the genereal health of the system it is recommended to have an 250Watt+ PSU because once the PSU is overloaded it will either crush[fry or shutdown] OR your pc will function but really slow because its not getting enough juice ;)

Just get some generic 400watt they are dirt cheap nowdays anyway....... if it ain't no high end machine that'll power it up just fine.

-Jo.

I have an HP Pavillion 752n and I don't know what type of power supply would fit

chhorlimsgren said:
I have a question (sorry but its same topic). If I get a grapics card that requires 300W PSU will it work with my 235W PSU? or will it blow up?

ok nothing wont blow up to begin with, NOTHING, this is not explosive...... the top damage that could be caused is an overload on the psu 12v rail and a little "Pssst" and its fried, perhaps two sparkes will come out but you wont hear no BANG lol.

Anyway, this depends on the overall computer power requirement, if the cpu takes on avarge 50watt, the fans say you got three including cpu fan, take up like 12watt each = 46 watt [guesswork], the video card takes like say 50watt? 60 at load? [depends which one is it again, im doing a guesswork here assuming we're talking about a low end general usage computer]

hmm harddrive im not sure of how much it takes, 30watt? 40 perhaps?

Hmm thats about it, you'll be cutting pretty close to your limit, and also there is another very important thing, this you can find out by looking at the sticker on your PSU, the Ampers that the 12v rail has on it... you don't want to be cutting too close to what the video card recommendations recommend, too less amps and it will either malufunction and work slow, or fry.

-Jo

relentless said:
I have an HP Pavillion 752n and I don't know what type of power supply would fit

sorry, i'm not femiliar with prefab HP's... =\

if its a normal mid-tower desktop PC then it should be just fine.

-Jo.

P.S.

By generic I mean like the CodeGen PSUs they are REALLY cheap and they DO work for low/medium-end pcs, not for overclocking though.

ok my PSU says 250W on side but on my system info it says 235W. I have +12V to 5A btw (very poor i kno).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom