PSU question

Status
Not open for further replies.

teknikull

In Runtime
I have a proprietary compaq power supply is it wise to stick a different PSU in or will it fry the mobo? and y wounld it fry the mobo its just a friggin PSU from a different brand same connectors and everything.

as long as the psu is the same form factor as the mobo and you'll be fine. the biggest concern is the place for the psu as you have mentioned it's a proprietary power supply the dimension might be different.

form factor like AT, ATX, ATX12v you know things like that and AT form factor have two big cable to the mother board while ATX have one. i am saying the big one not the 12V one.

my PSU has a 24-pin main connector and a 4-pin molex connector (i think thats what its called) its square 4-pin and plugs into the mobo too.

chhorlimsgren said:
I have a proprietary compaq power supply is it wise to stick a different PSU in or will it fry the mobo? and y wounld it fry the mobo its just a friggin PSU from a different brand same connectors and everything.

Its best to get a replacment Power supply from the computers manufacture. Unless it an E-Machine.

Cause, yes it can fry the motherboard.

No it doesn't, but Like I said, you should get the replacement Power supply from the Computers manufacture. Most prebuilts have proprietary power supplies, this means the the 20/24 Connector Could be wired differently.

and if i got a different one it could fry the mobo? ive searched everywhere for a replacement for my model bu there is none i dont think mine is proprietary because it mounts on screws not tabs.

OK so ive read some old forums and found out that someone tried to put a diff PSU in my comp and it didnt work...its proprietary..so can i get a new mobo? how do i find out what socket my processor is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom