What the **** happened to Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
Ok so about 2 months ago I reinstalled Windows. I have been very good with how I treat my pc. Shut it off properly, keep files organized, have virus checker running and do scans periodically. All of a sudden I go to boot up one day and it says boot.ini missing. Booting from c:\windows. I was like wtf? It happened to boot up fine but ever since then it always does this and boots up slow. Recently in Windows I had a error with all drivers and had to reinstall them all or Windows would get all these weird errors that it couldnt even explain. Now I can multitask worth a ****. I am typing now and it lags. I have checked processes with msconfig and started with bare minimum. I have a p4 3.08ghz 1gb ram x800gto a 30gb maxtor (windows), 55gb seagate (backups), 120gb maxtor (games). Just recently though I switched out case, powersupply, cd/dvd reader, and rounded ide cables. What could be causing this? It feels like Windows is going to fall apart on me. Jeeez

The lag is obvious in typing, internet surfing, and music. Games run perfectly fine or better than ever. Weird! Oh and my temps are fine. Everything idles below 30 (gpu 26 and cpu 28) and maxs out at about 40 (gpu 37 and cpu 39).

LOL I was in the same boat like you just now not anymore cos I've just done a System Restore and it's OK again. Thank God!

System Restore isnt going to fix my problems. I dont think Windows has important files built in system restore to fix my problems. I just need my xp cd. Oh and system restore is a steaming pile of ********, it sucks. Just check a thread someone made about it.

Go to Start>Run. Type it "boot.ini" and click ok. If it does not find it, that means (obviously) that your boot.ini file was somehow deleted/renamed.

You have two routes you can take. Please try the first one first, because it is the easier of the two, and, if performed correctly, nothing but the Windows folder will be touched.

1) Pop in your Windows disk, and do a Windows repair. You can google it if you don't know how to do that.

2) This one is a bit more complicated, and may possibly be hazardous (to Windows/your HDD). If you choose this option, i am telling you that you need to make a system restore point. That way, if anything goes wrong after this, you can restore back to the point before doing anything.

You can open Notepad (Start>Run>All Programs>Accessories>Notepad.exe) and copy this into it:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Save it as "boot.ini" and then open up "My Computer" (Start>My Computer). Double-click your C:\ drive and move the "boot.ini" file there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom