Corrupted Profile and phantom IE home page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Warez...I downloaded the file.

1. What does "mege the file" mean?

2. When I try to run it, it tells me cannot import because some keys are open by the system or other processes.

Still didnt work...but I changed the "search page" key to yahoo.com and WinPatrol came up and asked if I wanted to change the "search page"...so I shut down WinPatrol but IE still goes back to msn.com.

well one of those programs you have are changing it back so you need to go thru them all to find out
WinPatrol does this guard job, keeping tabs on programs running on your PC (including the hidden ones) and alerting you if a program tries to install something unexpected, sets itself to run on startup, change your home page or install something it shouldn't

I think I am going to disconnect from the internet, shut all my spyware/AV/firewall down, and try to change it and see what happens...

OK. I first disconnected the internet and then stopped all the AV/Spyware, etc programs and tried to change the start page...no luck.

I then disconnected from the internet, booted into safe mode and looked up the registry...NOW, the start page key was there, I changed it to something besides MSN.com and it seems to work when I opened IE. I then ran all the spyware/AV checks and came up with nothing.

Just reconnected to the internet in regular mode and everything works fine, the IE page was changed to what I want, but now I cant change it again...it must be some program I have running but cant figure it out.

Maybe I try shutting down one program at a time to see...but I think it is WinPatrol because that is the program that keeps giving me warnings when I change the registry keys. Now, when I try to change the start page key, it wont let me change it, says "error writring values new contents"

Interesting...

Really? I like WP, it always lets me know when some program wants to change my file associations or give me useless add-ons...also helps me clean up my start up/services/active tasks stuff.

Do you have a good alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom