X1800XT a good option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overclocking is still soemthign I am a bit iffy on. I may do it in the future, but for the moemnt I wanted something that will suffice for the now. ANd since this is for gaming, i know that no gmaes out there currently really take advantage of a dual core and likely fwont for some tiem to come.

You can expect games to start taking advantage early next year, or later this year if we're lucky. In the long run, you'll be much better off with dual core.

I'm waiting until these supposed price drops to make my final decision, but unless they are significant I don't see myself shelling out for an x2 right now. I have a budget I am trying to keep under and odds are such a purchase would kill it.

I dont no about that i mean you might as well save $100 and wait till next year and put it towards that or else you would be wasting money, prices do drop alot especailly when new tech is released. Considering new technology is released to improve the old every month or so. It would be stupid to buy a dual core now and not get the performance gain like you would next year. When you could save like $100-$150 now and buy a single core which will give you the same fps in games as the dual cores will now. Next year will be a wiser time to buy one, the prices will drop and the games will take advantage of their capabilities.

That is a fact.

Actualy whats a fact is the FACT that the X2 3800+ will be as cheap if not cheaper than a single core 3800+. The X2 3800+ will be a rumored 169 bucks. Thats almost as cheap as the 3200+ single core right now. FEAR (since you say you play it) already has a patch for dual cores and it utilizes it nicely. Oblivion also does but there really isnt much differene. Also, Vista i believe will have more support in the OS to help perform better w/ dual cores as well. Whether its to save a few pennies for single core, id suggest dual core all the way. Multithreaded everything is actualy right around the corner and when it smacks you in the face and you have a single core youll regret not taking advantage of the price drop.

single core venices have dropped a lot.. so the dual core will be more expensive then the 3800+ venice cuz i think its like $145 on newegg right now.. but anyways.. after the price drops.. make your decision and purchase then.. don't wait till next year or w/e.. cuz then you'll be waiting forever..

technology always advances... but you gotta time your upgrades right...now's a good time since new tech has just been released...

P.P. Mguire said:
Actualy whats a fact is the FACT that the X2 3800+ will be as cheap if not cheaper than a single core 3800+. The X2 3800+ will be a rumored 169 bucks. Thats almost as cheap as the 3200+ single core right now. FEAR (since you say you play it) already has a patch for dual cores and it utilizes it nicely. Oblivion also does but there really isnt much differene. Also, Vista i believe will have more support in the OS to help perform better w/ dual cores as well. Whether its to save a few pennies for single core, id suggest dual core all the way. Multithreaded everything is actualy right around the corner and when it smacks you in the face and you have a single core youll regret not taking advantage of the price drop.

$169 is almost as cheap as $90?

The 3800+ is still 142. For 22 extra bucks on the 23rd you can have dual core. If i remember correctly price mark downs will be for dual core and AM2 single/dual core. I think the single cores will stay the same for 939.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom