How to Install Old Hardrive in a Barebones system ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

In Runtime
I'm looking for some simple instructions on how to install the harddrive from my old PC here to a new barebones system.

I want to retain ALL the data on my drive and don't want to reformat it (if possible).

I tried installing the HD and tried to boot the new system up and all I get is a LINE (DASH) and cannot proceed from there.

My HD has XP Pro O/S on it currently.

Ideas ??

your problem with that is your old system drivers, etc, are on it... and the OS is tailored to your old one. The only way to do this now would be to put it back into your old system and get a partition program. create a new partition and put all your files you want onto that one. then when you put the hard drive into your new BB you can format to the partition without the files... then reinstall your OS.. when it's all said and done you have a new system and all your files.

from the looks of it he does not know how to partition. sorry I dont know much about partitioning, otherwise I could be of more help.

When Win XP installs, it configures itself to your current hardware setup. Once installed, if you change the motherboard, it won't recognize it anymore...and won't know how to communicate with it.

You HAVE to reformat if you change motherboards.

I don't know if this will help,

I did the same thing, but I was able to get to an XP authentication screen. I called the Windows tech line (free, not pay) was honest with them and I was provided a new key.

Good luck!

CrazeD said:
When Win XP installs, it configures itself to your current hardware setup. Once installed, if you change the motherboard, it won't recognize it anymore...and won't know how to communicate with it.

You HAVE to reformat if you change motherboards.

I've changed motherboards on systems. XP is the only one that boots when you change it though.

Katmandu said:
What is an easy to use Partioning program ??

You may want to direct that question to the Windows Operating System and Software section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom