Question about tempting RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunt12

Baseband Member
Well it is quite funny actually, when I built my computer (see Sig) I got 2 gb of ram and I didnt get it at newegg but at a friends comp shop.
You see earlier (about 2 days ago) 1gb of my ram went bad and shorted out.

Now here is the thing that made my day, he gave me a new 1gb of ram, buy he gave me ANOTHER 1gb of ram ALSO. So the question is should I just reinstall the 1gb of ram back in giving me 2gb again, or should I install both the new ones and have a total of 3gb of ram, I have both here so am wondering. Need to know if 3gb will result in a loss of performance or should I just forget being stupid and throw all 3 in there?

Windowx XP (32bit) only sees a certain ammount of RAM, I think its liek 3.65Gb or something.. You can put all three in there, adn I I doubt that it will hurt performance, windows will take what it can and the rest should be ignored....

Thats my take on it at least.

Hmm if what you say is true, then I think selling might be an idea, I have all 3 currently in my comp though, I can run multiple games again without any problems with 3, thanks for the advice. Might actually save the ram for when I could use 3g in the future also....thanks again.

Oh yeah another thing. How is it that I lose dual channel with three? I put 2 of the gb in the same color ram slot and the last in the other, so how is it that I would lose it? I assumed that they would go dual channel and with what was left over that was needed the extra gb would take care of.....no?

Or.... Maybe the extra RAM is the first piece of harware for the 2nd Rig your going to build...

As for the DDR loss, if my understanding is correct then the channels have to have balanced resources - otherwise no DDR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom