air circulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterhuang913

Retired.
right now i have a fan in the front part of my case blowing in and a psu sucking the air out. There is also the stock processor fan. The temperature always seems to be hot and im wondering if its the open pci slots i have on the back of the case. Should i cover up the slots or not?

does the psu fan count as exhaust, i think it is also anyone wanna tell me anything regarding the pci holes?

The PSU's exhuast fan only acts for it self. Not for air around the system.

You would see a big diffrence with an exhuast fan..becuase your trapping all that hot air in the case and it has no where to go.

And opening PCI slots will only attract dust and Mess up the air flow.

how long does it take for dust to settle on the mb? also how does the psu fan act for itself if it takes the air from below it and sucks it out?

I have a single fan PSU and it blows air into the case but thats no problem becuase my fans are allinigned correctly and give excellent air flow.

If your tower is on the ground expect dust by moring. Dust is pretty heavy on the ground:)

I really suggest getting an exhuast fan, but if you still fail to recongize why I really dont see the point in continuing this thread:rolleyes:

my mb has been dust free for about 6months... its on my desk my average temperature is 35c and can go up to 40c. Once its up there the fan goes up to 4500rpm and is loud.

Airflow is an important factor in thermal management. The consesus is:

Intake on the front
Exhaust on the rear
Intake on the side cover (if applicable)
All unoccupied openings should be covered or filtered.

I think that your PCI slots on the back ought to be covered. If you do not have an exhaust fan on the rear you could mount an 80mm (or largest/quietest) in the PCI openings w/ zip-ties. Though not ideally at the top of the case, it will help.

There is the "control-freak" notion of negative/positive air pressure. Though nominal in pressure it can make a small (1-2C) difference. To avoid this use fan controllers to balance the airflow.

Okay, I'll shut up now....

Oh yeah, here are some case mod links:

http://www.mnpctech.com/casemodstore.html

http://www.crazypc.com/products/casemods/windows.htm#lasercut

Check out the blowhole and fan grill mods for cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom