What's a good Asus MB that has SDRAM and socketA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearcamp

Solid State Member
Looking for a Asus MB that has SDRAM (up to 1 gig) dual IDE channels, Athlon and AGP. Anyone know what I can go with? I need a little help with this as I'm not all that good with puters. I just want to upgrade as some games require more mem and better graphics. So I'm starting with the board, gonna keep my Athlon P 1600 and go with the GeForce 7200 (256) card. But I have 512 mem and would like to be able to get it to 1 gig. Now I have the Asus A7A133. Unless you people have other ideas. But I'm not goin all out $$$$$$$$$.

It doesn't have to be Asus, My first puter I built was 4 years ago and that what I put in it. Worked good, but others will work. I want a board that will meet those requirements. Requirements---1 gig of mem (SDRAM), AGP, dual ide channels.

What about the Asus A7V333. I believe the only diff is it's DDR instead of SDRAM and I think it'll handle the Athlon XP 3000? Also will take 1 gig of mem. Am I right as I found a pretty good price on one.

ddr is different from sdram... different pins, sdram won't fit in ddr slots... so if you have sdram, you'll have to buy new ram...

BUT.. that would be the silliest "upgrade" ever.. might as well get new stuff...

Okay I understand about the mem. Why would it be so silly? I'm asking cause I don't know. Hey I'm learning. See all I want to do is upgrade some to play some of the newer games. Which don't work with mainly my graphics card. So if I go with a better graphics card, just as well go with 1 gig of mem and a little faster cpu. Maybe I'm wrong but as I said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I don't know, that's why I ask the people that do.

ok, why don't you tell us your current components, and your upgrading budget. we'll lead you in the right direction.

Running Windows XP, Asus A7A133 MB, 512 SDRAM, Athlon XP 1600+ Graphics card is a GeForce 64 bit but not sure which one. Case was 350 watts but changed (when it blew) to 450 watts. 2- hard drives, 1- cd rom. Any thing else you need to know? I'd like to stick around the 3-400 dollar range to upgrade. As far as that goes,,,,,,,should I just build new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom