Departitioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that thing that you burn to the disk, that's called the ISO image? I just didn't know it was called that.

So I downloaded that file, and burned it onto a CD using Nero on my Dad's laptop. I then booted with the CD and...nothing happened.

Should I try doing a repair? Will I lose anything that way?

Do you mean that the 35G partition will be partition to 43G?

You can..
by
uppartition first the 35G.. partition it again together with the remaining unpartition space..

Infomatic said:
I have an 80GB IDE Seagate Barracuda hard drive. It has two partitions; 35GB, and the rest (like 43GB). The 35GB Partition has Linux on it, while the 43GB has Windows. I haven't booted into linux a single time since I built the PC, and I was wondering if there was any way to un-partition that extra space and integrate it into the 43GB that I have.

Using software like Partition Magic as suggested by Trotter will be the easiest in my opinion. But since you do not have one maybe you can google and find a free/alternative partitioning software and use it to first delete the Linux partition then merge the deleted disk space with the Windows partition you have.

Alternatively, can you not just backup your Documents & Settings to DVD-R/RWs using your DVD burner and then fresh install your OS. Then restore the Documents & Settings later on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because at the beginning of the Setup, you will be asked to choose an installation partition and will also be shown all of your available partitions and you will be able to delete the Linux partition then merge the freed space with the Windows partition then proceed with the remaining of the Setup process.

Hope my suggestion helps.

The problem now is getting back onto Windows.

I already deleted the partition with Linux on it. But that changed the "partition number" of the partition that has Windows on it. That caused problems and now I can't boot into Windows. Supposedly, I had to modify the boot.ini file to make it work.

The other guys are also helping me just boot into a Preinstalled Environment to burn the data on the Windows partition and do a re-install. However, when I burned the ISO image file of Knoppix, which I downloaded, and when I try to boot with it, my PC just freezes for like 10 secs and then moves on as if there's nothing in the drive (I have set the boot sequence, yes).

By "partition number" did you actually mean the Drive Letter such as drive C:, drive D, etc??? If you hope to change drive to Drive C:, I believe you can do it in the following manner:

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management > Select and right-click on the drive whose Drive Letter you want to change

You may have to change the Linux drive's Drive Letter to some other letter first if it's using the letter C. Then only change the Windows drive's Drive Letter to Drive C:

Hope my explanation is clear and helpful to you.

When I was deleting the Linux partition (note that I've already done this and I'm knee deep in s*** right now because of it) it brought up an alert that said deleting the Linux partition would change the partition number of the Windows partition and that I would have to modify the boot.ini file because of it. That's all I know, I have no idea what the computer meant by the paritition number.

But note that I've already deleted the partition, and now I cannot boot into Windows. No point in dwelling on what I COULD have done, now I cannot boot into Windows and I need to fix that.

I have recieved advice to use Knoppix to just burn the Windows files that I need, but it's not booting from the CD either.

This all sounds rather over complicated to me, surely you can just use simple windows tools like diskpart to remove the second partition then extend the primary partition. Then use bootconfig to repair your boot.ini

Am I missing something here?

and if there is any compication with the boot process then simply perform a repair installaion of windows.

Ok, so a simple repair will solve my booting problem?

I already deleted the Linux partition, that is empty space now. Should I type in bootconfig in the Recovery Console to repair the boot.ini?

BOOTCFG
Use this command for boot configuration and recovery. This command has the following options:
bootcfg /add
bootcfg /rebuild
bootcfg /scan
bootcfg /list
bootcfg /disableredirect
bootcfg /redirect [portbaudrate] | [useBiosSettings]
Examples:
bootcfg /redirect com1 115200
bootcfg /redirect useBiosSettings
You can use the following options:
/add : Adds a Windows installation to the boot menu list.
/rebuild : Iterates through all Windows installations so that you can specify which installations to add.
/scan : Scans all disks for Windows installations and displays the results so that you can specify which installations to add.
/default : Sets the default boot entry.
/list : Lists the entries already in the boot menu list.
/disableredirect : Disables redirection in the boot loader.
/redirect : Enables redirection in the boot loader, with the specified configuration.

FIXBOOT
fixboot drive name:
Use this command to write the new Windows boot sector code on the system partition. In the command syntax, drive name is the drive letter where the boot sector will be written. This command fixes damage in the Windows boot sector. This command overrides the default setting, which writes to the system boot partition. The fixboot command is supported only on x86-based computers.

FIXMBR
fixmbr device name
Use this command to repair the MBR of the boot partition. In the command syntax, device name is an optional device name that specifies the device that requires a new MBR. Use this command if a virus has damaged the MBR and Windows cannot start.

Warning This command can damage your partition tables if a virus is present or if a hardware problem exists. If you use this command, you may create inaccessible partitions. We recommend that you run antivirus software before you use this command.

You can obtain the device name from the output of the map command. If you do not specify a device name, the MBR of the boot device is repaired, for example:
fixmbr \device\harddisk2
If the fixmbr command detects an invalid or non-standard partition table signature, fixmbr command prompts you for permission before rewriting the MBR. The fixmbr command is supported only on x86-based computers.

Most of that is over my head. I've already typed in fixboot and fixmbr in the recovery console, and that didn't work.

As for bootconfig, I need someone to hold my hand in that. I have no idea what to type into the recovery console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom