New OS install boot issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

adadk

Beta member
I got a computer from work for free (they were throwing them out).

It's an NEC PowerMate 2000, P3-800.

I purchased a new HDD and XP Home. I kept getting a boot error

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 071)

For Accton EN1207D/EN2242A Series PCI Fast Ethernet Controller

Searching the web resulted in finding out that the PC is trying to boot from the network first, regardless of the boot order I set in BIOS.
(I assume because the PC was accessible by the public, the administrator restricted access to pretty much everything except web browsing, hence why I purchased a new HDD hoping it would solve the problem.)

I've been unable to even disable the network boot option either. The option isnt there, just the order of boot sequence.

I hope I havent wasted $200....please help.

The error messages indicate that your computer is attempting to do a network boot rather than to boot from your HDD or CD.

There is usually a setting in your BIOS where you can indicate that you wish to do a NIC boot (not PXE).

Can you check that this is set correctly for NIC(no PXE).

An NIC boot will boot from the selected list of bootable devices that you have specified in the BIOS.

I would make sure that you have your HDD specified either first in the list, or second after your CD if you prefer to have the CD option automatically available.

even better... remove the battery from the mobo for about 20 minutes with no juice... tat should reset the thing to it's defaults. from there you should be able to go in and change anything you want.

found the jumper to clear CMOS. Removed the battery and let the system sit for half an hour. I was able to reset the Supervisor password.

System sits on black screen when continuing boot mode. nothing happens.

Put the original HDD back in, on boot up it worked, starting up the programs the system was designed for. However, some program access still prompts for admin password, which is not what I set Supervisor pw to in the BIOS.

System originally loaded with Win 2000 Professional. Perhaps there are security settings in place that would prevent me from installing a new HDD and loading a new OS?

make sur eyou have the bios set to CD/dvd drive as first boot... put your OS disk in and see wat happens from there... it should see it even before the bios kicks in.

Already tried boot sequence.

1. ATAPI CDROM
2. HDD
3. Removable devices
4. Network boot

Doesn't matter what order they go in, the system is not booting up from the XP disc in the drive.

[stupid I know] did you reset the bios for "safe" defaults? not the optimized... the only thing I can think of is you missed something... resetting the bios should... SHOULD have reverted back to a "new" system... I'm at a lose after that... sorry man...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom