• Tony Hawkes 8

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammerfall288

Solid State Member
hi I just learned about this site from newegg. I am building a computer there.. and im not exactly sure if I have everything right. It would suck for me to buy something that didnt go with everything else.. so im just double checking here to see if it all checks out. im not insanely novice on computers, but im new enough to still be unsure about the choices I make.

I need to know if theres any other cables ect I need to buy too.
____
Casing:

Thermaltake Swing VB6000BWS Black 0.8 mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
____
Hard Drive:

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
____
Motherboard:

DFI nF4 SLI Infinity Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
____
Graphics Card:

GIGABYTE GV-NX76T256D-RH Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Silent Pipe II, Lead Free Video Card - Retail
____
CD/DVD-Rom:

LG Black E-IDE/ATAPI DVD-ROM Multi Read Drive Model GDR-8164BK - OEM
____
Sound Card:

AOpen Cobra AW850 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
____
PSU:

COOLMAX "SLI" CXI-500B ATX v2.01 500W Power Supply - Retail
____
Heatsink/Fan:

ARCTIC COOLING ALPINE64 CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail

____
CPU Thermal Paste:

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
____
System Memory:

Crucial Technology 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model BL6464Z402 - Retail
____
CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail
____

thats all I have in the cart.. Also, if I am posting in the incorrect section or the wrong forum I appologize. I joined up to this forum rather quickly and didnt read any rules. any information that I need to include that I didnt I will be glad to edit my post and fill it out for you. was originally posted on another forum but they werent doing anything about it T-T... Feedback much appreciated :)

You can get a much better computer, even from Dell, than that computer, for $700.

1. DVD-ROM is obsolete. DVD-RW is about $35, well worth the money.

2. 80GB Hard drive is OK, but you could probably get a 250GB on sale for about $150-$200.

3. Athlon 3200 is pretty basic, but will do the job for XP...

4. 1GB of RAM would be better, just add a stick for about $40.

anyways.. these are the changes i would recommend...

get your parts from newegg or zipzoomfly

forget about SLI mobo.. save some $.

since no price difference, go socket AM2

get the 3500+ since its almost the same price as the 3200+ (although, dual core prices are set to drop soon... so maybe snatch one of those..)

get minimum 1 gig of memory.. 2 gigs optimal... DDR2 is cheap.. so i'm sure you'll easily get a 1gig dual channel kit

ah thanks for your replys guys... and yeah im shooting for a low cost on the HD and cd-rom burning deal, I dont need them. HDD is only 40 bucks and its reliable. thats what im shooting for.. cd/dvd combo is only 16 bucks. thanks for the suggestions though.. and uh.. I dont have it in the budget for more ram but I was planning on buying another stick for 40 bucks sometime soon, thanks :D. and also, I want the sli because I plan on getting another card :p.. which would explain the SLI approved PSU. ill look into the 3500+... thats a very good suggestion. but I would then require some mods to it.. its a 660 dollar system but with shipping is 700 :\.. but also, from where it stands.. you dont see any need for any extra parts?like if I left something out that would make it not run.

im 16 years old and I have a crappy job.. I get 8 hours a week and I make fed minimum wage.. so if you see where my budget comes from.. im looking for power for cheap, and through about a month of browsing I think ive found it :).. I could save up another couple weeks of pay for a better cpu... but id rather just get this CPU.. then wait on the upcoming price drops ect.. intel core duo 2 and such is pretty hawt :p

from where I stand this is just a base computer for alot of upgrades. like ram and such.. the mobo and PSU are perfect for getting upgrades if you see.. socket 939 is great :D.. theres no way in **** I am getting a dell, I dont think thats what you were suggesting, though, you were suggesting that I could get a better computer and that the parts were to expensive. the mobo on this thing is only 99 bucks, not to expensive. DFI is great, so I am told by an A+ certified uber computer junkie. pardon my grammar by the way.

Are you willing to custom-build a computer? It's pretty easy, and one of our friendly TF members will make you a kick-a$$ system budget system.

mmhmm. a cheap system is not the only reason im doing this :). I need the knowledge too. I figure building my own comp will help me greatly in a+ certification (which is, quite frankly, a joke ><) I mostly just want to learn more about them.. and play oblivion @.@.. im running a p3 dell right now with RDRAM.. no fun at all

and as for the budget system.. is there a topic relating to this more? id like to find out more about it. or if one doesnt exist, I dont want you to go through to much trouble, you could PM me about it :).

i'll agree with aliasaid sli is a waste of money unless you're crazy and picky about graphical performace, and i am good with just one. 1 gig ram and AM2 is a way to go for future upgrade and i'll recomend a x2 3800 after the price drop. since you said money is not very an issue and don't try to waste too much money on your first build spent it on the next one.

Hammerfall288 said:
im 16 years old and I have a crappy job.. I get 8 hours a week and I make fed minimum wage.. so if you see where my budget comes from.. im looking for power for cheap

@.@... please say where you saw me say "money is not an issue"..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom