why wont my bios detect my new hdd? --help please--

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkronik

Beta member
I have just purchased a maxtor 6e040l0 40Gb hdd, but my bios (v.1005) doesnt seem to detect it....

My mother board is a Asus pf-99vm.

Have i brought the wrong hard drive? Do i need to upgrade my bios version?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thankyou

Yes if there is a bios update then do it, but it is more than likely a jumper setting problem. do you know how to set the jumpers? You should set the main hdd as the master and I assume you are using the new hdd as a second hdd? if so set it to slave. Don't use Cable Select (CS). And put both hdd's on the primary IDE cable and any dvd/cd drives on the secondary IDE cable. on the proper connector on the cable as well.

Sorry no it will be my main hdd, and i dont know how to set the jumpers, is the a complicating process?

No it is very easy and all hdd's come with instuctions on how to do this. Look in the back of the hdd and there is a small panel that has usally has two rows of pins 4 pins each row. Look on the top of the hdd and figure out the orientation of the pins. there will be on row with more pins and on top of the hdd there will be a diagram of where you need to put the jumpers in order to make it a master.

It will be something like this, (just an example look on your drive) After you have that set you relize you will have to format it and install windows right? The two that are darker mean that is where the jumper goes

Attachments

• useries6family.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 18
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom