Max LAN Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtpacygax

Banned
What does max LAN speed mean? On this motherboard I have it says 10/100Mbps and on others I see it says 10/100/1000Mbps. What is the difference. Is 10/100Mbps bad?

10/100 isnt bad, but 10/100/1000 is better if you have a gigabit switch/router/hub.

They're just different speeds, 10megabits per second, 100 megabits per second and 1000 megabits per second (AKA gigabit).

They are different standards and back in the olden days cards that were compatible with both we're known as "10/100." But now that we have 1000mbit, its 10/100/1000.

if you have 101megabits per second ISP then there will be some bottlenecking. but since i doubt you have anywhere near that.. you're fine for another 8 years or so (by then 100mbps connections should be available! and your comp will be obsolete)

There aren't ANY ISP's that would use the potential of a 1000Mb/s setup.

I think the only use of it is if you had a home/office network, with ALL counterparts using gigabit hardware, and of course, cables that would support it.

most nic cards you will find are 10/100 (10MB/100MB) that's basically the range that it can xfer data... add the 1000 (mb) and you've got a gigbyte lan... but like it was said unless you have some serious business or work for the Gov't... you'll never see any where close to 100 meg for at least another 5-10 years in the US. your connection speed depends on your Internet provider/cable company/whoever supplies your connection.

also like peeps said
home networks will benifit from it
but if u just hav one computer conected to a broadband line then there is absolutely no point in worrying
the fastes speed ive seen commercially available is 24Mbps no wer near 100Mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom