power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dymond

Baseband Member
Hey, ive just bought and tried to install a 6600GT graphics card... however when doing so ive put it in all fine but when i fire up the computer the monitor doesnt come on and says 'power save mode' - guess this means a bigger power supply - however i dont have a clue what type to go for so could anyone recommend a decent cheap one, have a dell dimension 8300. Cheers.

Edit - is it possible to get external power supply units? and is it possible to dual run them? and finally are they difficult to fit?

did you plug the molex connector (if it has one) into the back of the card, i have a 6600GT and it requires one, also give us the wattage of your PSU it should say on the side

Its a 250W Dell 0F0894
I didnt get a molex connector, and i dont know what one is either :D lol

go here and fill in the form as best you can with what you know about your machine... if it's over the 250 wattage then you need a new PSU... you might be able to find a dell 350 / 400W one, but I wouldn't suggest using a non dell psu, only casue I have has so much trouble with tyring to do that... but maybe it was just me... Other might dis-agree...

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Comes up as 332W, thats with the capacitor, surge compensation and other lil bits. So it looks like that could be the problem?
I cant think of any else that would cause a 'power save mode' can anyone else?

you can try and reseat the card... sometimes the first time a system will not see it. you might also have to reset the bios... try those first if you haven't already.

I reseated the card a few times to no avail. Also... if i reset the bios i have to do this when the card is in correct? but when its in nothing comes up on the screen.

you can pull the batery form the mobo for about 20-30 minutes with the power cable removed form the PSU (so it doesn't hold juice) then put it back in and pray! :)

right well i tried doing that and it didnt work :( anyone got any other suggestions or do you think i was right in suspecting it to be the PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom