Video card blues 9600SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbolaRN

Solid State Member
Returned my ATI9200SE and got a 9600SE. Took me 5+hours to get my new card to work. Since I have VIA chipset and integrated video I had to download 4in1 (black screen syndrome). So i removed old drivers, updated windows and VIA AGP drivers, put in new and...black screen (no signal). After removing and installing new card ten times or more, I was just about to give up and return the card when I decided to try booting into safe mode (tapping delete key). Alright! got picture. Installed Catalyst but still no go! Tried going into BIOS but wouldn't work. About 10 minutes later, computer all of a sudden recognizes the new video card. Few questions now...

-why did it take so long for computer to recognize new card?
-how do you enter bios (F2, F10 or esc upon bootup)?
-how much % of RAM am i using? do i check this using task control manager? (control alt delete)?

When i played Nascar Racing 2003 with old card i got 12-20 FPS with high resolution. Now with new card i get 60-70FPS with awesome graphics. Here is the problem...when game gets busy such as many cars on screen, computer kicks off and reboots. What a pain in the arse! How do i fix this? Is this due to using up all my RAM? I have only 256MG but this should suffice, right? 256MB RAM use to be a lot just years ago.

-Can i check how much RAM is being used while in middle of game?
-What is CMOS and how do i get into it? I want to make sure old video card is not being used or is bottlenecking my new card.

Sorry this is so long. I am getting the hang of some of this and your input will save me lots of grief and hair and lower my blood pressure. I almost threw my new computer out the second story window but its was 4 in the morning. thanks all for your help

What version of DX are you using and did you uninstall the old graphics drivers? It might have took a while for the system to see the new card because of driver conflict or an older version of DX.

Depending on the motherboard, it is usually DEL key to get into the BIOS.

To check the percentage of memory you are using at any give time, you will need to access the Task manager and it is located under the performance tab.

The CMOS is also known as the BIOS for lack of a better word. The CMOS is the type of chip the BIOS is loaded on.

To make sure the older video card is not being used is to make sure it is not installed and make sure all of the drivers and anything associated with the old card is removed. Windows XP home has a tendency of installing it's own ATI drivers and screwing up the system so do not let it load em.

Anyone else??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom