Buying ram for someone else

Status
Not open for further replies.

harley3344

In Runtime
im buying some ram for a friend and she has a 5 yr old hp no model or anything with me this is what i got off everst pc2100(133mh) dimm1 DDR SDRAM and i dont deal with old technology any help is greatly appriciated... and while im at it sometimes both of her optical drives will be unreconized by the computer... i thought it was a ide cable prob and it seemed it worked for a while but then it just happend again.... sometimes it will work for her and sometimes it wont. Im replacing the ide cable now but what else could it be?

thanks

well when these drives are not recognized, do they even receive power? Like do they spin up, and open up?

Also for the memory, just grab a stick of 184-pin DDR (speed does not make a difference) since pc3200 is either the same price or cheaper than pc2100.

you have to explain to him man. so here it goes: any memory higher than PC2100 or DDR 266 like PC3200 or DDR 400 would be compatible with your system because the higher frequency one would just get downclocked. and yeah i am seeing about the same price for all kinds of memorys in the same size so just find the one's reasonably cheap.

theyre powered and everything but one ( the master) will have the reading light be on constently and will sometimes open... she showed me her little trick but i forget how she did it. ok thanks u save me a few bucks i figured it was old 168 pin mem but i guess not anyways i got the ide cable as snug as i could and everything was perfect when i was over there. Im glad im not the only one who like that 70's show :p now one else my age likes that show (16) .

the yellow one said:
you have to explain to him man. so here it goes: any memory higher than PC2100 or DDR 266 like PC3200 or DDR 400 would be compatible with your system because the higher frequency one would just get downclocked. and yeah i am seeing about the same price for all kinds of memorys in the same size so just find the one's reasonably cheap.

oh well.. i said that they would still work.. isnt that nuff' said?
With all of the words you just said... you confused him.

lol it takes a lot more then that to confuse me... im not a complete novis to comps ive just not had the oppertunitys to learn all the small things, this is old technology i thinkthey bought that comp when i was 7-9 so i wasnt intocomputers then :p any newer technology im fine with (other then a few things that i would like to know like could i stick a nvidia card in a crossfire mobo?) just some of the compadibilitys (and spelling) i have probs with but then thats where this site comes into play. thanks i appreciate everything

edit: would the master being frizzed out cause the seconday not to be reconized at all? and yes tere is power to both... ive had my dvd burner for 2 yrs now and i burn something everyday almost.... although my 5 yr old comp cd drive doesnt want to give up its cds, isnt that a prity long life considering that technology doubles every 6 months (moors law i think).

OK i need a new PSU but ive looked at pics and kno it wont fit...could i jus plug in all the cords and jus leave the PSU on top of my rig? because it wont fit so i cant screw it in...I NEED A PSU SO THIS IS MY LAST (REDNECK) RESORT! is it wise to do this? will it heat up and fry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom