NTLDR missing error

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
Ok, I got a 30gig hard drive, reformatted it, disconnected my 100gb, using the win 2000 4 installation disks, went thru the processes of setup and removed the floppy like it said to before restart, when it restarted it gave me the error "NTLDR missing. Press any key to restart." which it trys to restart only from the floppy. I tried restarting manually and same. So I put the first of the 4 disks back in and it went thru the initial win 2000 set up process all the way to the restart and it did it again.

So I hooked up the 100gb again to examine the 30gb and it had the follwing files on it:

WINNT (folder)
arcldr
arcsetup
boot
NTBOOTDD.sys
NTDETECT
ntdlr (!!!!!)
PAGEFILE.sys

Now what the hell am I doing wrong? This is so frustrating. Do I transfer some files on it from the 100gb or win2000 CD? Is there a way I can install 2000 without having to disconnect the 100gb? The drive was supposedly working before I formatted it.

Its formatted as fat32, Western digital WD Caviar, enhanced IDE hard drive.

Can you just pop in the CD and boot/install 2000 from the CD? Typically, you dont need bootdisks from a drive that has no OS on it. Just boot from the CD instead of the floppies.

-Mike

no, in my bios it doesn't give me a boot sequence option.

but......what I did after I rehooked up my 100gb (again) I went to disk management, and reformatted the 30gb with a new volume name. I then disconnected to 100gb and went thru the whole process of AGAIN reformatting the drive (long process) and went thru the set up this time without a hitch. Now I;m about to put the 30gb in the other system that I'm building. wish me luck on it. ha

need further help...sort of

This is like soooooo weird. After I got that drive supposedly going I put it in the new tower and Kaploop it gave me the same NTLDR is missing error. So I left it in the new tower and re-did the whole damn thing and it worked.

Now, check this out....I don't have the means to hook up to the net with the new tower so I am unable to get all the service packs and Directx without that direct connection.....I get the bright idead to take the 30gb and put in the computer I'm using now and Kaploop it does it again (Groaaan). I'm thinking it was screwed. Luckily though when I put it in the new tower it was ok.......All except not being able to get the service packs etc.

It sucks, cuz in order for me to get the driver for the video card to work with the updated driver I have to have service pack 4 installed, hence net connection. The older driver versions require direct x 8. or higher and in order for me to get Direct X I need that net connection also.

I'm bout frustrated out. goota go play some colin mcrae rally to take the edge off. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom