Departitioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EricB said:
make a bart pe cd.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

download and install the program and put your xp disc in the drive and let bart rip you an iso cd. burn it cd. boot it. copy your important files on the machine to your other partition. reinstall windows

Nevermind, was able to download the program.

I'm using my dad's laptop. I've downloaded it and installed the self-executing file. I'm using Windows 2000 Professional, so do I put that CD in there? It seems to be asking to search for installation files, but I don't want to even touch anything on my dad's laptop. Should I burn the program to a bootable CD and run it right after the PC POSTs?

I don't know if it will work with a 2000 disc. it will work with a xp disc. you will be able to boot with it and see your files (the a43 file management ultility will let you copy those file to another partition)

Dude just get a Knoppix disk and burn all the files with k3b, or stick them on an external harddrive. Then reinstall...

So Knoppix is a PE-kind-of-thing except on Linux and k3b is a CD/DVD burning software that works on Linux?

I'm a noob with software, but wondering; Knoppix will be able to see the files on the Windows partition?

No idea what BartPE is, but Knoppix is a Linux distro that runs completely from the CD. OH, you'll have to use an external harddrive unless you have two CD burners.

Anyway, yeah Knoppix can read and write FAT32, and can read NTFS, so yeah you will be able to get the data.

Yes, k3b is a Nero clone for Linux. :)
Actually I like it better. :classic:

Edit: If your computer supports booting from USB, like a USB thumb drive then you can stick knoppix on there, its a PITA to get it to work though, I only got it to work once. :confused:

I don't think I'll be able to boot from the USB, atleast I didn't see any sort of option in the BIOS about it.

Lol, what luck, I just got a DVD burner 2 days ago. So yea, I have a DVD burner and a CD burner, but only one of those is connected. I'll connect that, burn Knoppix on my dad's laptop when he gets home, and get back to you guys then.

One question though, it says that I have to download the Knoppix ISO images. I've seen the term floating around, but what are ISO images?

zomg, theres no way you don't know what an ISO image is.

wtf?

If you aren't joking:

You can't just put the file on a CD, you need to use Nero or something to burn an image to a disc.. otherwise you'll just have a big file on your CD and end up with a coaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom