Say your at a library computer with limited time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_wizard

In Runtime
And the current OS (Windows) is locked down completely with a program that limits you to pretty much nothing but the internet. So say you load a seperate fresh OS onto an external laptop hardrive and connect it to the PC through USB, configure the boot priority to boot to USB (the hard drive) through BIOS, and viola it boots to the OS you have previously loaded and you do what you want on your hard-drive.

BUT I'm thinking loading the OS on the hard-drive at home may give me some problems with IRQ assignments. Since my computer uses entirely different hardware. Maybe it will work itself out and recognize the new hardware with only a few errors. Then I thought about images. Anyone fiddled with that? Maybe I can pre-load a sort of image of an OS on my hard-drive that has the hardware configurations and drivers that are identical to to PC's there.

I'm just trying to buy some more time on the net at the library since home isn't working right now. Any idea's?

Kubuntu doesn't come with all the neat utilites Knoppix comes with. They both use KDE, so yeah.

Use Knoppix. Kubuntu is mostly for people to "try it before they buy it." Even though its free (as in beer). :)

Another thing, anyone know how to use this utility "Air Snort"? I have a wireless card with SRX at home on my desktop, I tried knoppix really quick and I don't think it's recognizing my card. Of course, I'm not real familiar with Linux, so I could be doing something wrong. I know there are several routers out there giving off signals, but when I click "start" on the utility it does nothing.

What is it that you like about Knoppix? I've been meaning to try Linux for a while here, but i've tried Ubuntu before and it was way too plain for me, so i came back to Windows.

The whole thing seems aimed to people who know more about computers. There's alot of cool and handy little utilities in there also. And if you think about it, less viruses. Though, I never really had a problem with those in the first place, it's nice not having to check the computer every now and then when you suspect one is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom