New Conroe build-HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogthegreat

Baseband Member
Hi,
While I am an almost newb at building computers, I have been floating arounf these forums for a while now so I have some idea of what I am looking for. Here is the important stuff: I have about $1500, maybe a little more if it makes a big difference, I will be overclocking for the first time, and I will be gaming on it for the next four years w/ as little upgrades as possible, and finally I will need just about everything. Here is what I am thinking so far;

conroe E6600
2 gigs of ram: I will be overclocking but can't go crazy here
I would rather go nvidia for the video card but don't know which ones are worth the extra money (so many different venders)
I need help picking a monitor. Definatly a CRT as they have better resolutions for less money but which one?
As for a HD, I don't think I will need massive amounts of space but would like at least one w/ 7200 rpm.
The mother board is the hardest as many aren't out yet. Needs to be able to overclock the cpu and support more than 2 gigs of ram as I will most likey need to add more in 3 years.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Grog

If you are going to be gaming on this for 4 years, you should probably wait for a little bit. DirectX 10 cards will be here later this year (Nvidia's will be here Sept. and ATI's will be here Nov.) If you can't wait, I recommend getting the evga 7900GT KO.

Same thing with Conroe mobos. Wait it out. There will be plenty of mobos out later this month.

Hard drive, I recommend getting Wester Digital. You can't go wrong with a SATA or SATA-II drive with 16mb cache.

Since you are overclocking, get G.Skill RAM.

wow 4 years huh, umhh you will need something very upgradeable. now like he said get the 7900gt ko by evga. along with the western digital you might wnat to go with a raptor 10k rpm 74gb for your games and others that require such a fast speed. if you want to overclock I would either invest in some better fans for your cpu and gpu. or go with liquid cooling, it isnt an extreme option anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom