Acceptable Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ren0nie0

Baseband Member
I purchased the power supply below for use with my new conroe setup. which will utilize an optics drive, 2-3 250gb WD HD's, e6600, 2gb ram, thermaltake armor full tower, not sure which MB yet though. then i think i'm going to wait for g80 dx10 gfx cards. is this a sufficient power supply? should i send it back?

Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817103937

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103937

Is it just me? Or does the price of a "decent" system keep going up?

I know a few years ago you could get a really nice system for 700 or 800 (EDIT: In CANADIAN funds.). Nowadays, you can't be sure if that'll get you a system that'll still be worthwhile using 4 years down the road.

you can still get a sufficient system for like 500 dollars or 600. the pentium 805 is dropping down to 95 dollars. i sthat not "sufficient" enough for you?

I know the system as a whole is sufficient. I am simply asking if the powersupply is enough to power the aforementioned parts. I am asking if the power supply alone is sufficient to power the system.

Running said:
you can still get a sufficient system for like 500 dollars or 600. the pentium 805 is dropping down to 95 dollars. i sthat not "sufficient" enough for you?

It will work flawlessly, However, depending On the New GPU you purchase later You "Might" Need to upgrade, But Im not sure.

say if i installed a geforce 7900 gt? would that still be within the boundaries of the antec power supply in question?

ren0nie0 said:
say if i installed a geforce 7900 gt? would that still be within the boundaries of the antec power supply in question?

While it would have plenty of power, if I were you I would get the 550watt version. It doesn't cost much more, and it is more futureproof. Though, watts doesn't have much to do with it..it's always better to have a lot. A 7900gt is required to have a 450watt PSU (I think). So a 500watt is just over the required amount.

Though, it will still work fine if you get the 500watt. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom