When to buy my new processor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
I've been holding off buying a new processor for a while, the P4 2.8 Northwood handles everything reasonably well, but I'd like to do a fairly major system upgrade in the next couple months. I've been back and forth between some of the mid-range, overclockable Intel dual-core chips (high $100's on newegg) vs the slightly more expensive athlon 64 x2 3800 (high $200's on newegg). However, some recent articles shed some light on new processor technology from both companies set to hit later this year, as early as fall. Just looking for some opinions, nothing urgent...

What would everyone do in this case? Is there something fantasic right around the corner worth waiting for, or is it just another small jump in processor tech?

Thanks for the help!

Richard

Tomorrow, the Conroe will hit the stores [Or so it has been said by Intel, the manufacturer]

At sometime in the 20'th of july supposdly the 26'th in July [or was it 24? I forgot] AMD Will be lowering the prices on nearly all of their products, including the X2's.

However the conroe has an arhcitechtural advantages over any AMD chip out there for now... at least untill AMD can catch up.

Do you'r math, I Myself going to buy a Conroe as soon as I Can get my hands on one [the E6600 seems to be fairly well].

-Jo.

if ur going for a Conroe get the E6600 (btw the retail name is Intel Core 2 Duo), becuase the ones before E6600, like the E6400 and so forth, have 2 MB L2 cache, where has the E6600 and up have 4MB L2Cache, but the only difference between the E6600 and up is the clock speeds which you can OC it urself to those speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom