Building New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 16MB or 8MB cache?,
Intel Core 2 DUO E6300,

Asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (MB-152-AS),

Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C3 TwinX (2x1GB) (MY-110-CS),

Gainward BLISS GeForce 7950 GX2 1024MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-039-GW),

This with a widescreen monitor is £300 cheaper should go for 4GB but then id need winxp x64 :O

Also I dont have a chip to update the bios of this board will it cost to have a bios chip sent out and how much is it likely to be?

Well Ill wait for 24 of this month and deside what to do thx for help guys Ill keep checking back to help and be helped thanks alot

The newer raptors have the 16mb buffer. I haven't seen a benchmark performance comparing its predecessor so I can't tell you if the 16mb version is worth it. I have the 8mb version and it is(was) the fastest hardrive out their unless you are willing to fork over mad money for scsi drives. I would suggest the e6600 because the ln2 cache is 4mb, even if you arn't an overclocker.. all you need is AI booster and can easly overclock with a 10-15% gain no problem with an aftermarket heatsink.

Also when conroe is officially released the asus board will be shipped with the newest bios supporting conroe. If I was to buy an expensive graphics card like that I would go with eVGA they have the step up program where you can send your card back to them and upgrade to a newer card for less money. Also they have a great RMA policy if anything was to go wrong.

Yes that was my mistake I replaced the E6300 with the E6600

Im running an Athlon XP 2800+ at the moment which after a few hours on Primer95? (its a cpu test program runs it at 100%) was about 47 degree's C when the case needs a good vac out. I also have a few HDD fans goingand stuff like that. would you recomend over clocking a new system or do I need some serious cooling?

I would like to get more into overclocking etc so if anyone has time could you PM or reply with some links to good guides

Im also planing on buying a second case side panel cuting a big whole in it and using a house hold fan to cool the system.

dunno if its a bad idea sound isnt a problem Im really into my music and have loads of amps/sound cards n that and always have it up quite laud.

Fan bad idea. That will cause major dust build up and will not provide the proper air flow you are looking for. Load temperature are safe as long as you stay below 50 C, you will have no problems with your AMD chip (intel's run much hotter). If you are looking for advice on overclocking I recommend you joining ocforums.com and ask for some help (really smart people who are nice to OC newbs). Other than that keep doing research you are headed in the right direction to build one kick *** rig. Best of luck to you.

The 16MB Raptor is worth the extra $10. I think its around 20% faster.

This is a good forum, someone already has the Extreme edtion Conroe:
forums.extremeoverclocking.com

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=226399&highlight=dynasty+conroe

It pretty much looks like you can get conroe extremely for on air cooler currently on the market. He is also using the fast Corsair memory in which he has hit 1200Mhz @ 3-3-3-1 which you can see.

I was looking at all 3 of these processors E6600, E6700, X6800 now all 3 are posible to buy but might *depending on my money spending between now and end of this month middle of next month have to get 5-5-5-15 6400 ddr2. I was just wondering what would be the best aproch E6600 with 3-4-3-9 or X6800 with the 6400 ram or ofc if I save enought the top ram and the X6800 would be nice prolly have around £2000+ by then so might be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom