No sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
talldude123 said:
You don't even need a dedicated PCI sound card, many people on TF with nice rigs use motherboard sound. It works fine, and it's a waste of a PCI slot, unless you use a 5.1CH setup.

unless you have a 5.1ch setup?

Alot of motherboards (if not all) that have onboard audio include 5.1 audio as a part of thier onboard sound.. my current build (in pregress) has 8.1CH audio..

So the amount of channels shouldnt matter.....

I had the same problem with an ASUS board... it was a jumper setting on the board. When the jumper was on, only the connectors on the mobo for a front panel were working (but this computer didn't have any front conectors or connections). When the jumpers were off, the onboard jacks worked.

So what do I have to do? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to hardware.

By the way, was you mobo an Asus P4S800 - MX?

BUMP:

Someone please help. The mobo manual says that if the front panel audio is not connected (which it isn't) then the audio control on the board should be shorted with jumpers. But it isn't and there are no more jumpers.

Recently I too faced the same problem with my notebook after my daughter downloaded something from the net on it. Both WMP and WinAmp that I had, while able playing the songs alright, there was no sound caming out from speakers.

But when I rebooted, everything returned to normal. This had been going on like this for several days. I suspected some malwares cos I discovered that one of my mp3 songs which I chanced on playing on WinAmp had an announcement at the end of the song! There was none previously. It asked me to download some software, claiming that it's some kind of enhancement plugin for WinAmp and if/when I install it the announcement will automatically be removed. Instead of going thro the hassle of scanning with all the anti-what-have-you, I just edited the song and reformatted and reinstalled the Windows XP! To me, this is much more easier.

Now every thing works beautifully. addle_brains, as you have already wasted a few days trying to troubleshoot it, why not just try this route?

Everyone, thankyou all for you're help. Yesterday my dad told me he was feeling generous and he went and bought me a Sound Blaster Audigy, works great!

(I kinda feel sorry for people who are looking for a fix for this problem and all I've told them is to go get another sound card. Try the jumper settings on your mobo first.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom