Magnetic Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athlon

In Runtime
Ok, now i'm sorry, but this is the third topic i have made due to my dad being fussy about me turning off my computer at night.

After telling him that radiation coming from my computer will not dangerously harm me, he then said something about magnetic fields generated from the motors in the fans and all the other electrical components. WHAT THE F...!

Please tell me this is a myth and hes talking a load of nonsense.. otherwise please reply with your thoughts/answers,

thank you.

What about magnectic fields? There are components in a PC that have magnetic fields, but they aren't very harmful. Even pacemakers are fine to be around them, its not like they're heavy industrial magnets.

if yuou dont have lights in your comptuer you can put it in standby and tell him its offf :p (not condoning it)

also, where is he getting his information from? he needs to consider his sources..

Yea... i think that he thinks a computer is so powerful it needs LOADS of power and releases dangerous stuff that is harmful. AHH!!

Thanks for replying, keep them coming!

If my dad is just being an a$$, then i just use a friends computer. My friends have much better computers than me.

However, my dad isn't that mean about computers, he's just greedy (buying me a $600 laptop and $800 PC, he has a $1300 laptop, $800 PC)

I think I finally solved the riddle... your dad is AMISH!!!! :D

lol... please tell me he is joking... I would be willing he doesn't drive a car, and wears plastic bullbe wrap when he leaves the house....

I have worked 40-50 hours a week, 52 weeks a year, for just over 3 years at my current job, sitting at a computer for 8-10 hours a day, in a room filled with dozens of PC's and monitors... If I haven't been adversly effected with all of that exposure, PLUS my 2 PC's at home that run nearly 24x7, then I doubt leaving your one computer on 24x7 is going to hurt you.... It isn't like you are trying to swallow the computer.....

EDIT
talldude123 said:
However, my dad isn't that mean about computers, he's just greedy (buying me a $600 laptop and $800 PC, he has a $1300 laptop, $800 PC)

I would hardly call that greedy... you should be thankful you got a PC AND a laptop from your dad... most people have to purchase things like that for themselves...

You get magnetic fields from any electrical device. After all, MFs are byproducts of electrons moving through a medium anyway, so the MF produced by your computer is like having a boombox in front of a concert-sized speaker playing the same song at a higher volume; sure the boombox still makes noise, but is almost negligible when compared to the larger speaker.

Ethereal_Dragon said:
EDIT

I would hardly call that greedy... you should be thankful you got a PC AND a laptop from your dad... most people have to purchase things like that for themselves... [/B]

Still, most people on TF has much nicer PC's than me. And i'm not even allowed to upgrade my PC with my own money. My parents think that my computer will last for another 6 years.

Also, my laptop is the bottom of the line, barely runs Windows XP with 256MB RAM. You call that lucky? :mad:

Think about it, if the magnetic field was at all powerful, how would your harddrives store data so effectively?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom