Upgrading Mobo and CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foller

Beta member
I want to upgrade my Motherboard and my CPU, but with the amount of products available, I'm kind of lost.

First, I want a mobo with PCI-Express 16x (video card) and support for DDR (memory). For the CPU, I was thinking of buying an AMD Athlon 64 3500+, or something similar.

Knowing all this, can you recommend some motherboards which are compatible with this CPU and meet the requirements I need?

I'm not looking for something very expensive, but rather a board which will last 1/2 years without being outcast.

Thank You!

The CPU you listed is a Socket 939 AMD 64 CPU... It has been replaced with the socket AM2 platform. With you looking for something not very expensive, I would go with Socket 939... they are a great bunch of CPU's... Also, you could go with a slower CPU, 3000+ or 3200+ and overclock it to 3500+ speeds fairly easily on stock cooling.. this will save you a little money too.

Socket 939 boards support ONLY DDR memory (AM2 supports DDR2). Many of the boards have PCI Express x16 also.

Ethereal_Dragon said:
The CPU you listed is a Socket 939 AMD 64 CPU... It has been replaced with the socket AM2 platform. With you looking for something not very expensive, I would go with Socket 939... they are a great bunch of CPU's... Also, you could go with a slower CPU, 3000+ or 3200+ and overclock it to 3500+ speeds fairly easily on stock cooling.. this will save you a little money too.

Socket 939 boards support ONLY DDR memory (AM2 supports DDR2). Many of the boards have PCI Express x16 also.

Okay, so if I understood everything, these boards would be compatible :
AsRock 939 Dual SATA2 Motherboard

AsRock 939SLi32-eSATA2 Motherboard

The first one has a AGP and PCI-Express slot, so it could be interesting because I was planning to buy a PCI-E card, but if I can wait a little bit, it could help me financially. OTOH, the second one has the advantage of having two PCI-E slots, which it will be possible to have two video cards in dual.

Is that right?

no man, AM2 stuffs are priced about the same as 939's for now but i'll guess that would change after the release of the conroe. i'll go for the AM2 if i were you, good for future upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom