Slow PC - Help, it's driving me mad!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow PC

I can't post a printout of my processes because it says it's too big, so I've zipped it. Hope you can get it ok.
I didn't have many programmes on my hard drive but I've taken everything off except the things I use all the time. I now only have MS Office Pro, Paint Shop Pro & drivers for my cameras, etc. Problem is it's now saying I have 62 processes running as opposed to 60 before & the CPU & PF usages have gone up! How can that be? :mad:

Attachments

• cpu processes 2.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 5
CPUProcesses2.jpg

winzip, nero, quicktime, jupico, java update, incredimail, msn messenger doesn't need to run in the background. you have more things that we don't see

you need to go to start, run, type msconfig click startup, disable everything but avg

With 62 processes, and less than 512MB RAM (480MB), it will start acting very slow. But thank god you aren't using Norton Antivirus.

Slow PC

Does Norton Anti Virus take a lot of memory then? Good job I haven't got it if it does!
I downloaded all those anti-virus & spyware remover tools and thought for a time that my computer was working a little better. Trouble now is it has started acting very peculiar.
My Incredimail started playing up & wouldn't open, also Paint Shop Pro won't open at all and tries to install itself when I click on it. If I put the disk in, as it asks, it says it can't install as it can't find a file (lots of long numbers & letters).
I even tried a system restore to before I did anything and it has gone slow again but my programes won't open, so I'm worse off now than I was before - Please Help!!:(

Slow PC

Thanks EricB, I have done as you suggested and now have 35 processes working, although my CPU usage alternates from 100% to 0% and the PF usage from 244 mb to 220 mb (doesn't really mean anything to me but I suppose it will to you).
Things that will open are now opening a little faster but my PC has gone completely berserk. My printer won't work either now, it keep saying it's offline when it is plugged in & switched on. I've checked all the cables & everything is in ok.
There is also a very wide piece at the bottom of my Firefox screen (that's when I can get it to open). It is a pale bluey grey & has a red ^ at the left hand side. On top of this area is the status bar. I don't know what this large area is or how to get rid of it, any clues?
I would appreciate any help you can give me, it seems to be going from bad to worse and I have spent that much trying to get it sorted in the past I really can't afford any more, so I need to be able to sort it at home if possible. Thanks for the help so far, at least the processes are cut in half, that has to be good for something! :confused:

Slow PC

Have run virus scans, adware scans, spyware scans, every scan I can think of. Nothing comes up as being resident in the PC. Is it possible that some of the system files got corrupted while I was running all the cleaning & scanning programmes?
It's also lost the calculator, Internet Explorer, solitaire & freecell. Seems strange to me that they're all Windows accessories/games that come automatically loaded. :(

With regards to the RAM, your pc could be detecting only one 512MB memory stick now and, like Eric said, 32MB is shared with your onboard graphic card. That's why you can only see 480MB.

To find out if any of them is KO, first use an eraser to erase/clean up the pins of the memory sticks. Then boot up the pc with only 1 stick in it. If you can hear several continous beeps during BIOS startup then most likely that particular stick is kaput.

Check too that there's nothing wrong with the memory slot with a torchlight. Sometimes foreign object in it can also cause you probelm.

BTW, memory sticks come in both single and double-sided types. Being double-sided, the latter is thicker.

Slow PC

Thanks for that Sevenor, will try your suggestion & see what happens. As to the problems re: losing programmes & not being able to open ones that were working before, I don't have the faintest idea why it has suddenly done that when all I have done is download & use the Adware/spyware & virus checkers that were suggested. I haven't done anything else which could have caused it to start acting so peculiar. I now have no Internet Explorer & Firefox only opens when it feels like it but has that thick bar at the bottom 1/4 of the screen & very often won't open links when I click onto them. Don't know what to do next. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom